Monday, August 02, 2010

Brackets, Brakes, and Shifter.

I attempted to knock a few quick/easy items off the list, and of course, they weren't quick or easy. Considering I got my new power steering brackets the other day, specifically for a 69 Camaro with a big block chevy, I figured I'd tackle that first so all the accessories would be good to go. After figuring out which brackets went where, I began bolting the brackets on the pump. Lastly, I attempted to bolt the third bracket to the block. After trying to figure out how the bracket went on, I resorted to the factory assembly manual I had in the garage. Unfortunately, even after finding out how it was SUPPOSE to install, it wouldn't go on.

The holes on the block side weren't even close, and the lip around the top may have worked for an all original big block with exhaust manifolds, but it wasn't gonna fly with my headers. I first tried to grind the holes with an air grinder, though I needed to take out a lot more metal than that. I ended up getting out the Sawzall and cut the lip off and turned the top hole into a slot. It looks pretty crude, I didn't bother painting it, but it'll do the job for now.

Next I worked on the brakes for a bit. I took a wire wheel to both sides of both front rotors and cleaned them up like new. I was skeptical, as they had 8 years of surface rust build up, but they cleaned up easy. I struggled with the passenger side caliper for awhile, as the bolts didn't want to thread straight, but I finally got it mounted. Driver side went on smoothly. I also mounted my new Wilwood master cylinder to the firewall and mounted my shifter to the tunnel.

I have a friend scheduled to come up this Sunday to help with the brakes, mostly because I'd prefer to use his Snap-On brake line flare kit, instead of my made in China kit I bought for bending, cutting, and flaring my fuel line. My dad is likely going to come up Friday to help out with some of my list, and help me set the front and rear glass in place. I'm hoping that by Sunday the brakes we'll be working on will be the final touches to get it road worthy.














No comments: