Tuesday, July 27, 2010

After a few minor issues, major progress finally made.

I made more progress today than I've made in awhile. After tackling the biggest issue, the headers, the rest of the day went smoothly and I got a lot accomplished. I first removed the passenger side header, as I was unable to tighten one of the spark plugs on that side due to header interference. After tightening it, I realized there was still going to be an issue installing the plug wires. A few...ok... A LOT of smacks with both a steel mallet and sledge hammer created some clearance. Though still tight, as the silicon boot actually touches the primary tube, it's the best I can do for now. Their Taylor wires, which I've found to be the most tolerant to heat, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Next on the list was to install the alternator, brackets, and belt since I was working on that side already. After a few washers here and there to get the alignment right, that was finished. I have the MDS 6AL box and Blaster 2 coil mounted on the fire wall, as well as the fuel line from the pump to the carb, including filter. I then installed the radiator support brackets, tightened up the radiator supports, and moved to the driver side.

After loosening up the driver side header, I was able to install the pitman arm. I followed up by installing the rag joint to the new 12.7-1 steering box, then attaching the steering column. I tightened up the header, reinstalled the spark plugs, and installed the spark plug wires/holders on both sides. The exhaust on the passenger side is all done, I still need to bolt the exhaust to the header on the driver side. Last project for the day was bending the transmission cooler lines and flaring the ends.

The list is getting short, and the hardest parts seem to be over. I have a new MSD distributor gear on the way, after realizing the one I bought several years ago was defective. While I didn't get a free replacement, I did get one for $41, a fraction of the $115 new price. Can't exactly complain about that. My Sears Diehard battery seems to be taking a charge, so I'm hoping I won't need to buy a new one. While I didn't fire up the engine last week as I had hoped, I do anticipate starting it within a week or two. If I don't, the I likely won't make the Woodward Dream Cruise this year.











No comments: