Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Bonneville Salt Flats

I was recently sent this article, published by Popular Mechanics. Though the term only gained mass popularity a few years ago, we are all now well aware of what a "Bucket List" is. While I've never referred to mine as a bucket list, I do have a list of automotive accomplishments I wish to make. Amongst the list of spectator events and race participation sits a visit to Bonneville. I don't wish to simply go and watch, though I think that would be my first step. No, I wish to run a car there, quite possibly my 1989 Pontiac Formula after a thorough resto-med catered to the likes of high speed travel.

My Camaro is my drag/street car. I'll continue to modify, lighten, and cater that car towards going fast in the 1/4 mile. I would however like another car, which is built with respect to just the opposite, speed over a great distance. With a kid on the way, the first of more to come, those plans...much like the car, will sit somewhere dormant, collecting dust. Someday however, when time and money permits, I'd like to knock that dust off to the tune of 200+ mph.

Here is the article, which has a nostalgic feel to it, the days when road trips across the country were much more common than they seem today. Perhaps it's because it was taken in a couple of cars destined to be American classics the day they rolled off the assembly line.

Mustang vs Camaro - Bonneville

No comments: