Thursday, March 22, 2012

"Top 11 Cars We Wish We Could Have Bought New" - Bangshift.com

Bangshift.com made a list of the Top 11 Cars We Wish We Could Have Bought New. I've made my own lists over the years in my head, from cars on my dream list, engines I'd like to build, and automotive events I'd like to participate in. Yet I never really thought about a list of cars I'd like to go back in time and have bought new. While I like many of the cars listed, and some will make my list, here are my 11, in no particular order.

1941 Willys Americar - I have to agree with Bangshift with this pick, though I didn't realize it wasn't "all that" back in the day. Today, I would argue that the Willys is by far my favorite street rod ever built. I'd love to build one with over the top power.

1981 DMC-12 - I'm not sure why this car is such an attraction for me. It really isn't a good looking car. In fact, it's rather ugly. The front, the rear, the side...I can't say it has a "good side." The gull wing doors on this car even looked awkward in my opinion. It's underpowered, and really wasn't all that sporty then, or even now. Yet it's unique, it's different, and if I could go back, it's a car I would have bought new. Yeah, I know, they are still making them somewhere down in Texas...but I don't want one that bad. HAHA

1965 Ford Cobra 427 - A rocket ship on wheels. I know that these cars, offered as a kit, are a dime a dozen today. Yet even as diluted as the market is with all the kits, there is a reason they sell so many of them. This car just looks damn good! Small, light, and packing one mighty punch, it's reminds me of a street legal go-cart.

1963 Corvette 427 Split-Window - Perhaps the only two seat car that I would probably take over the Ford Cobra was the 1963 Split-Window. In my book, it is, to this day, the best looking Corvette ever built. Perhaps shockingly, the split window didn't go over so well and was killed rather quickly, though today, it's highly collectible and easily making my list.

1987 Buick GNX - I know that the 1970 Buick GSX held it's own fame, but in my book, the 1987 Buick GNX takes the award for baddest of the bad Buffords. Thinking outside the box, taking a Regal with it's plush interior, and adding a killer engine under the hood that outright embarrassed the Vette that year. As the last year for the the rear wheel drive platform, Buick truly went out with a bang and left it's skid marks in automotive history.

1962 Plymouth Savoy Max Wedge - I agree with Bangshift on this one too. This is my wife's dream car, and I have no problem fulfilling that dream one day. I only partially agree with Bangshift regarding it's looks. It is ugly, but it's so damn ugly that it's cool. Talking about breaking the mold, this car looked like nothing else out there.

1962 Ford Galaxie Thunderbolt - Another bangshift pick, but I'd add the Thunderbolt as my selection. A factory race car, it doesn't get much better than this.

1948 Tucker Torpedo - It truly is a shame that Preston Tucker couldn't have succeeded with his car. In my opinion, it was THE best looking car at the time. In my opinion, it's unique styling would even place it amongst the best looking cars on the market today. If I were to pick a #1 from this list, this would surely be in the running, if not the winner.

1969 Boss 429 Mustang - This was Ford's hemi! Arguably one of Ford's proudest moments, and one of my favorite year Mustangs to boot.

1969 Camaro ZL1 - I obviously have a soft spot for 1969 Camaros, and this particular model enjoyed the limited run of 69 cars, making it extra rare. The all aluminum 427 was a track terror, and to this day, the fastest factory Camaro ever built.

1971 Hemi Cuda - As much as I'm a diehard Chevy fan and lover of big block Chevy power, there is no denying the appeal of the Hemi. Arguably the most recognizable engine for the masses from the muscle car era, it is the reason the hemi name and engine was resurrected, and enjoys it's fame today. In my opinion, the 4 headlights on the 1971 were by far it's best looking year. I love the 1970 Challenger nearly as much, but given the choice, I'd take the Hemi Cuda...it just rolls off the tongue better.

So there is my pick. Who knows, if I were to ever win the lottery, perhaps I could realistically fulfill that list. Sure would be a fun stock of cars to possess!

No comments: