Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Butter Fingers

Last Friday I dug into the Camaro. I started out by removing the intake, with plans to install my new Edelbrock Super Victor in place of the Edelbrock Victor Jr. After the intake was removed, I placed some paper towels in the lifter valley, cleaned up the gasket residue, and placed the new intake gaskets in place after applying some gasket adhesive. I applied the RTV in front and back, and then needed to install 4 intake bolts to hold the gasket in place, as the adhesive wasn't doing it.

After I installed the first bolt, I immediately removed it. I decided it wasn't a good idea to leave the washers on, as I could see one falling off into the valley and through the engine. After removing the washers, I reinstalled the bolts. I let the RTV cure for 10 minutes, and here is where I messed up...I removed the paper towel. Upon removal of the intake bolts, one slipped, fell in the lifter valley, rolled over the cam lobe, then down she went....TINK! I heard it hit the oil pan, which was a good thing in my mind.

I quickly realized I wasn't retrieving the bolt from above, and was surprised it was even able to make it down. I was really kicking myself for removing those paper towels, but what was done was done. I pondered the situation over a few beers, then decided I needed to drop the pan and see if I could create enough room to retrieve it with a magnet. Several attempts with my flexible magnet proved too much for my 15 year old tool, and it's flexible life came to an end with a snap.

A trip to several stores left me empty handed in regards to a replacement. I instead picked up a smaller mirror, as the one I had was too large (the new one still didn't work), a telescoping magnet, and 25 lb strength round magnet. All proved insufficient, and a make shift repair of my flexible magnet using solid core wire was short lived, as the remainder snapped again. I wasn't confident the magnet was enough to pick up the bolt any way, as it seemed barely strong enough to lift a bolt, let alone attract it in an oil pan. I resorted to Amazon.

I located a 24" flexible magnet made by Tekton, a Michigan based company out of Grand Rapids, though sadly, the tool is made in China. Still, this baby was a life saver! Within 5 minutes I located the bolt, within 10 I had it recovered! I have an oil pan gasket on the way, but I think I can reuse the one in place, with a few dobs of RTV in the corners. Tomorrow, I will be back on track, and progressing forward. Below are some shots of my progress thus far.










The size difference between the inakes was surprising. The carb mount, the size of the runners, and the overall height of the new runners is quite obvious.




Here is the little bastard that caused my sleepless nights.


Here is the tool that saved my ass...or at least saved me from having to pull my engine. Can't say enough about how handy this magnet proved to be.

No comments: