Thursday, March 29, 2012

Air Cleaner for Dominator

Dominator w/1" spacer and K&N air cleaner assembly.

A few nights ago, I received another shipment from Summit Racing. This one included my air cleaner. I was very concerned as to whether or not this air cleaner, or ANY air cleaner was going to be able to fit under my hood. I have a 4" cowl hood, and previously had a 5" tall air cleaner w/drop base. Now however, I had a Super Victor intake by Edelbrock, which was 1/4" taller, a 1" carb spacer, and a Dominator, which may also raise the height slightly, I didn't measure the carbs to compare.

Dominator with 1" spacer/minus air cleaner.

My 14" diameter air cleaner I was replacing rubbed slightly on the hood where the cowl began to taper off in the front. The fact that you need a 16" diameter air cleaner to clear the Dominator, I was nervous to say the least. I ordered up my best bet, a K&N setup with a 1" drop base, 16" diameter, and 3.5" air cleaner and hoped for the best.

My initial install confirmed my fears, the hood wasn't even close to shutting. Discouraged, I headed back into the house to begin searching the internet for options. Aside from a place out of Canada, which makes one badass looking setup for $269 with a 2" drop base, there was nothing else. In addition, without a doubt I would be getting rid of the 1" carb spacer, as it was consuming valuable height I needed back. In return, I would be loosing the spot I had planned on drilling/tapping for my vacuum port. First things first though, I need an air cleaner and a hood that would shut. Going with a 6" cowl hood wasn't an option either. One, I don't like the look, simply too tall. Secondly, I don't care to spend another $500 on a hood that would also need painted.

Today I went out, took a few measurements, installed the air cleaner again, tried to see how much room I had to work with, then decided I was simply going to have to go with the $269 setup and figure it out from there if I still needed more room. Just as I was about to repackage the air cleaner to send back, I decided to remove the 1" spacer and take another measurement, and just make sure it wouldn't work.

To my surprise, the removal of the 1" spacer gave me JUST enough room. I took some putty and placed it on the air cleaner in multiple spots to check clearance. It seems I have a little less than 1/4" clearance to the hood, but it's clearance none the less, and my hood shuts w/o issue!

Dominator minus 1" spacer.

In the future, if I ever plan on using my nitrous plate kit, I will either have to find a slightly shorter air cleaner, or go with that 2" drop base setup. For now though, what I have will work, and that makes me happy as hell right now.

Dominator with K&N drop base air cleaner assembly.

No comments: