Thursday, May 24, 2012

Placed final order for fuel lines/fittings, fabricated fuel pump bracket.

This morning I placed what will hopefully be the final order needed to get my Camaro up and running for the season.  I ordered up all my fuel lines, which I went with Russell Twist-Lock hose, and push lock fittings by Jegs.  All components will likely be here by tomorrow.

I also fabbed up my bracket to mount my fuel pump.  I had previously posted pics of what I came up with, but decided I needed something to stiffen the bracket up so it wouldn't flex.  I bought some 1/8" x 1" flat steel the other day and welded some sides to the plate.  It significantly stiffened up the bracket!  After a few coats of paint I will be ready to figure out where to drill the holes to mount it to the underside of the trunk.  I hadn't dusted off my Mig welder in quite awhile, and my initial welds showed it!  Just as I was welding the last piece, I found the right setting, and my welds looked much better.  I went back and ground down the high spots, which was most of my welds.  Haha.

A few days ago I also decided that I was sick of looking at my gauges zip tied in place in my dash.  I got out my old dash, took a gander at where it made contact with my roll cage, and bought a 20 pack of cutting disks for my dremel tool.  After removing essentially all of the rear portion of the gauge pods, it nearly fits.  I had to trim some more off down in the lower left corner to clear up an interference with the door cross bar.  Sadly, I had to take a chunk out where my headlight switch would mount, so I'll have to find a new spot, or build a bracket to mount my switch.  I also need to order some ABS sheet plastic, to cover the old gauge pods locations so I can bring them forward so they don't hit my cross bar.  The major work is complete though, and now I will be able to install my stereo as well.

By tomorrow, I should have everything I need, and am now actually a little bit ahead of schedule compared to where I expected to be by now.  Within a few weeks, it should be up and running!  I'll post a few pictures of the fuel pump bracket when I get a chance. Until then, take'er slow, cool, and easy peeps.

No comments: