Thursday, May 31, 2012

Dash Cluster Installed


After some more trial fitting, more cutting, more fitting, more cutting, I installed my dash cluster.  After it was installed, I realized that there was still a serious interference fit in the area of the light switch as well as in the area the gauges would mount.  After some more cutting, I installed the cluster once again, this time everything fit well.  This dash has seen better days, even with a fresh coat of flat black, this will not be my permanent solution.  Still, it will look tons better than the zip tied gauges I had in place for the last two years.  I can't say that a nearly flat panel dash outta sheet metal won't be the final product, but for now, this will do.  You will also notice that I installed my CD player, as I won't be going another season without tunes either.

As you can see from the pictures, I still have plenty of wiring to finish up, but it's all pretty straight forward from here on out.  I was debating whether or not to install a remote solenoid I had lying around, and still haven't decided.  In the mean time, I ordered up a terminal junction I can use to wire up some accessories if I decide not to go with the remote solenoid.  I also ordered a new ignition switch, as mine seemed to have internal damage.  Lastly, I ordered mounting clamps to secure both main and return fuel lines, as well as power cable, to the frame.

I still have some finishing touches, as I need to order some ABS sheet plastic in order to block off/mount my gauges to.  I also need to block off the heater controls (which I had previously made a plate for), and come up with a block off for the driver side heater vent, then will be unusable due to the cage.  In addition, I will also need to relocate my headlight switch this time, as you can see in the photos below, is an area I had to remove a lot of plastic from in order to get the dash cluster to fit.  Now you can understand why in the future, I may simply build my own cluster, where I can design it so everything will fit.  Once I finish the wiring behind the dash, I will go ahead and install the dash pad.  Maybe I'll even install my old headliner I have lying around, as it is one of the only missing pieces to my interior.










No comments: