Thursday, June 30, 2011

A quick Camaro Project

I used to work for a Custom Motorcycle Company called Paul Yaffe Originals. My Boss was about 8 years younger then me and could fabricate almost anything. But when it came to building a car and tuning a carb, he knew nothing. Well one day I went over to my Boss's house to help him with his 1972 Dodge Charger that he picked up in a Junk Yard, complete and kinda running. When we walked into his backyard, I saw his charger and also a 1978 Camaro Z28. I asked him what his plans were with the Camaro and he said that he would fix it up one day, (translation: Nothing!). So I said, do you wanna sell it? He said, "for $300 I will". Wow, I couldn't believe it. The problem with the car was that it didn't have a drivetrain or the original wheels, but other then that, it was all there. So I picked up the car and placed it in my backyard, where I would "fix it up one day"...


So she sat in the backyard for a few years. Well, I met a girl, and she moved in. She asked me, "why the hell do you have that old pile of crap in the backyard?" I told her not to worry about it, I'll put up a fence so she doesn't have to see it. Well that worked for about a month. She then told me that I need to either fix it or throw it out. Well then! Nobody is going to tell me what to do with my cars! I'm gonna do whatever I want and she will have to deal with it. So, I began to fix it.

I located an LT1 on craigslist, with 4L60 Trans, for $800 with wiring harness, computer, and Intake MAF sensor and air box. I started to drop it in and thought, "this wiring harness is kinda shot and I really dont want to send too much time on this project. My plan was to fix the car and sell it. The money I made from it would go into my cutlass so I can get that back on the road. So instead, I put the LT1 to the side and looked for something else. I then found a 350 4 bolt in mint condition for $150 including a TH400 trans. What a find. I opened the motor up to check it out... Wow, it was like new. So I swaped out the intake and valvecovers and placed a Holley 650 on it. Dropped the motor and trans in and my old driveshaft fit perfect, who would have thought. I figured that it would have had to been cut because the TH400 had a long tailshaft, but it fit perfect. Long story short, finnished the project and drove her around for a bit, she drove like new. Suspension was still tight and quiet. Everything worked perfect. But my woman still didn't like the car, because it didn't have A/C.






So, I sold the old girl to a guy for $4300. I had $2600 into her.


1 comment:

Supersport said...

Even for $4,300 that seems like one helluva nice car! Bet you could have even made more had you brought it here to sell. Most of those years Camaros/Firebirds are rusted out pieces of shit here.