Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Barry Grant & Demon Carbs go out of business

I'm not sure how this slipped under my radar, but apparently as of 2/18/2011, Barry Grant/Demon Carbs has closed up shop. I discovered the posted announcement:


From Barry Grant
As of today, February 18, 2011 we are ceasing operations at our Dahlonega location and all subsidiary locations. Working with all of you has been the experience of a lifetime. I will value your support as friends, customers, vendors, and media contacts forever. The economic situation has put the company in the position of not being able to find working capital needed to continue operations and get a chapter 11 reorganization plan through the court. In addition to this, is that all of our equipment has been breaking down causing production delays and further hurting cash flow. Reluctantly now we must convert to chapter 7 liquidation after 26 years of business. The financial collapse has closed, or has caused severe restructuring of many companies in our industry. Many individuals have lost everything. We have even lost our home. This is the most humbling experience of my life, and I have no future plans at this point. Thank You for Your Many Years of Support..


I suppose I have mixed feelings about this news. I bought a Demon 750 carb back in 1998 or so, shortly after they hit the market. I was happy with the product, and especially the looks, though my first troubles arrived shortly after. The threads holding the fuel bowls to the body soon started stripping out. I managed to temporarily fix it at the time, and after race season, sent it out to have Barry Grant heli-coil the body. After that, I no longer had issues. Now tuning, that's a whole different story. I have constantly had troubles getting this carb to idle correctly, and currently, it is my biggest headache. The damn thing is just dumping fuel into the engine at idle, even though it was rebuilt just last fall, and no adjustments have changed. While I have sort of a hate relationship for the carb right now, there is no denying their carbs were the baddest looking carbs made. So perhaps with that, it should be retired to a piece of wall art on my peg board, as I'm really getting tired of tuning this piece of shit. LOL

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bought a Demon for my Model A about 5 years ago and have been very satisfied with it, it's a shame they couldn't keep it going. Talked with Barry at Good guys show in Columbus I thought he was a real nice guy.