Friday, June 17, 2011

Brake line flaring

Whenever you take time off from something, you often need a refresher course. For the automotive hobbyist, aka "Gearhead," that refresher course often amounts to jumping back in feet first. Aside from regular maintenance on my daily driver, I hadn't wrenched on my Camaro much in the last 8-9 years. Obviously, I've forgotten my fair share. Sometimes those mental lapses can be costly, and other times, simply time consuming. Luckily, this little mishap is simply time consuming, and has me a little under the gun, with the Gratiot Cruise in the morning.

While installing my new brake proportioning valve, I knew something didn't look right. I didn't like using my el cheapo flaring kit from Jeg's in the first place, but the flares just didn't look right. It wasn't until all the lines were installed, and I had bled all four corners with my vacuum pump two times around that I first sat in the car to pump the brakes. I immediately knew something was wrong as the pedal was so soft it nearly went to the floor. A quick check of the lines revealed multiple leaks. I scratched my head for a second then realized my mistake, I never put the second flare on all the connections, thus the lines weren't seating! Sonofabitch! So here I am, starting over, and the clock is ticking....but the beer is cold! Thank you Leinenkugel Summer Shandy.

No comments: