Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Needle/seat swapped out, problem solved



Next up on my list was to tear down my carb, clean it, and hopefully find out what was causing an overly rich condition at idle. Ironically, as posted earlier, that in the midst of my issues with my Demon Carb, I discovered that Barry Grant Fuels and Demon Carburation was no more. They apparently closed up shop back in February. I called Jeg's today to confirm what I believed, a Holley or Quick Fuel rebuild kit supplies everything I need to rebuild my carb. While I don't have any major complaints regarding my carb, though I have always had issues with the idle, regardless of the engine it topped off.




Shortly into the rebuild, I found my issue. The needle and seat for the front bowl had what appeared to be either gasket material, or perhaps hardened 10 year old gas sediments, wedged between the two. Easy enough! While re-installing the front needle and seat, the rubber o-ring seal ripped...of course it did, it really couldn't be that easy could it? Luckily, I kept all my old parts from my last rebuild and simply re-installed an old needle/seat.


With everything back installed, the engine fired with relative ease. A few turns of the idle circuit screws and the idle screw and the car was idling better than ever. Once the wife arrives home, I plan a trip around the block, and then a trip to a friend's place later this evening, as a trial run for Friday up to the Power Tour.

No comments: