Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Alternator, Power Steering Pump, and Brake Repairs

In preparation of this weekend's Gratiot Cruise - Eastpoint, I have planned a few mods/repairs to hopefully get rid of some bugs. Yesterday, I took advantage of my dad babysitting after I returned from court. He GLADLY would watch Emma Sue while I wrenched in the garage for a bit, starting on this weeks plans for the Camaro. I started with that leaky power steering pump/reservoir. Removal was easy enough, and I figured I'd check with the babysitter to see if I could milk another hour or so out of him, so I could make a parts run to National Parts Depot. He was game, so I hit the road.

With my leaky pump in hand for a my core exchange along with $68, I was all set with a remanufactured pump, ready for installation. While installing the pump brackets, I was reminded of what likely let to the leak in the first place. I'm not sure if it is due to tolerances that were all over the map during the muscle car era, or the fact that my car has little that remains stock, but I'm sure it's a combination of both that leads to so many parts not fitting correctly. With the bracket on the block, already in place, it was likely the width difference between the stock manifolds, and my current headers that caused me to have to "massage" the bracket. Instead of forcing the mounting bracket onto the pump, as I did before, which likely lead to the leak from the pressed in return line nipple, I decided to get out the cut off wheel and fix the problem. Again, a little "massaging," and the bracket bolted up. The power steering pump is ready for installation now, sitting on the work bench, awaiting my other parts to arrive.

Today, my shipment from Summit Racing Equipment should be delivered, containing my Powermaster 140A alternator, and Wilwood brake proportioning valve. The alternator, has been long over due. I think I may only have a 65a alternator, though maybe as high was 75-80a. With my quad electric fan setup drawing around 45a, in addition to my MSD ignition, I could very well be putting a very heavy work load on an alternator unable to live up to the task. Charging, with all 4 fans on, jumps between 12.7-13.2 volts, though will sometimes drop down into the high 11 volt range. My volt gauge also is all over the place, which I kind of wrote off as a ground issue, or perhaps even a gauge issue, though my voltmeter confirmed that charging issues were present.

Lastly, I went with a new proportioning valve. Considering the one in the car snagged the trailer upon loading, requiring me to fix the lines any way, I can't be certain that the valve itself wasn't damaged. The cost to replace the valve is around $40, and with the brake chatter I experienced on the freeway, I think a new valve will at least ease my mind.

With these repairs knocked out over the next few days, I'm hoping my biggest issues/concerns are resolved. I'm betting that my charging system could very well be the reason behind my erratic ignition/engine miss while cruising down the freeway. If not, then I'll have to determine whether it's part of the ignition system, or my forever troublesome carburator. Either way, I'll be more prepared for this week's Gratiot cruise than I was for the Power Tour stop.

No comments: