Friday, June 11, 2010

Welding complete

Just finished up the welding in the interior. The dash supports were cut when the cage was installed, and the shop left it flappin' like a sheet in the wind. I welded it securely to the cage on both sides of the car. Initially, my welds were ugly as hell. It was obvious I hadn't played around with a welder in many years, and I was far from an expert even when I had. Once I began figuring out the settings, the driver side weld turned out much better. I need to pick up a new grinding disc for my angle grinder and clean up the passenger side.

Aside from that, I filled in a few holes here and there. Some of which I probably had made, others were made by who knows who, or for what reason. With the welding and grinding almost complete, I'll likely get the cage painted over the next few days. I need to figure out what I'm gonna do about the carpet. I'd like to find some deep purple plush house carpet again like I had before. It gave the car a much more custom look than the standard black factory loop. Plus, the white faced phantom gauges looks sweet with it.

If I can figure out the carpet, I can have the interior in in about a day. Got a call from Tico Race Engines today, the last of the parts will arrive Tuesday, the engine will be ready for pickup Wednesday or Thursday. I think I'll probably still wait until Friday though. Once the engine is here, I'll probably waste no time dropping it and the transmission in. After all, is there any greater inspiration than a 650-700 hp engine sitting there waiting to be fired up for the first time? Below are a few quick snapshots of the interior, and the corners of the bottom of the dash support I tied into the roll cage.








No comments: