Friday, June 18, 2010

Chips, nicks, scratches...FLAT BLACK IT!

I tend to wrench on my cars quite a bit, and in the process of doing so, accidents happen. Throw in a 500 hp engine, and that smoothed firewall soon starts showing signs of stress cracks...perhaps serious fractures would be a better description. So, as I looked at all the blemishes in the Prowler Purple paint, the inevitable came to mind, why not just paint if flat black and call it good?

The nice thing about flat black is repairs are just a spray bomb away. You don't have to worry about color matching it, and you really don't even need to worry about repairing those blemishes, as flat paint covers up most anything. Point, shoot, and watch your problems disappear in a dull, yet classic finish.

Though I wouldn't go so extreme as to flat black a whole car, I'm not beyond strategically choosing panels. For one, Chevy....uhh....I mean CHEVROLET (put my $1 in the Chevy swear jar) used flat black on the tail light panels of their big block Chev....rolet Camaros. It's a nice suttle way of telling those in the know "I have a big block." Sometime in the future, I may flat black my tail panel. I have a 69 Camaro rear spoiler for my car as well, currently in flat black. Unknowingly to me, the 67 and 68's were slightly narrower bodies and thus the spoiler was shorter. Me, not knowing this difference, bought a used spoiler which turned out to be a 67-68. I've had the correct one for over 10 years, though it has yet to make it on my car. Perhaps flat black will do?

I'm back on the house projects today, so the Camaro will have to wait. Still need to sort out the wiring harness, as well as figure out what I'm going to do for carpet. I'm not sure I'd survive in the car without sound deadener, judging by how loud it was before WITH deadener. The engine will arrive Saturday morning, likely finding it's way between the fenders within days of it's arrival. Stay tuned!








No comments: