Friday, June 25, 2010

Engine installed, drivetrain complete

Yesterday I finished installing the engine in my Camaro. To say it was a breeze would be a lie. First off, an engine installation goes much more smoothly when you have two people involved. Secondly, nothing makes a gearhead more nervous than watching about 1,000 lbs dangling over the front nose of their prized possesion. Crossing that threshhold has always made me nervous. After a lot of leverage, repositioning the trans with a jack under the car, jacking up the car so the cherry picker would clear the underbody, the engine was finally in place.

I am very happy with the oil pan Tico Race Engines chose. Not only does it fit perfectly, now well protected above the crossmember, the pan just plain looks badass! After the engine was installed, I jacked up the car, finished tightening the bolts holding the trans/crossmember in place. Lastly, I bolted in the driveshaft. With that, the drivetrain is in place and complete.

Dad brought up the Demon carb off the Challenger, along with my MSD 6AL box and Blaster 2 coil...temporarily on loan. :) Next, I will start buttoning things up, such as installing the above components, the starter, water pump, steering box, etc. After that, I will have to order up a brake master cylinder, lines, a windshield, and a few odds and ends to get her back on the road.


Though still inconvenient to store, a fold up engine hoist..aka cherry picker, is the only way to go.

This is how much space the monster would consume if it were not a fold up hoist. There is a reason back in the day when I'd borrow somebody's hoist they were in no hurry to get it back.





Engine, meet Trans.

My feeble attempt at preventing trans fluid from leaking out the tailshaft. Mark my words, this is the last time I do an engine install without either an extra yoke or plastic dummy plug. What you see down the page is Lake Dextron III all over the garage.

Check out that sweet ass pan!



What fun is an engine installation without creating an oil slick on the floor? It's amazing I didn't end up on my ass in a puddle of trans fluid. I came close, more than a few times.




Point of no return, nervous as hell.

The pulling, prying, and praying begins.

You can stare at it all day, but it won't find it's way onto the mounts by itself.

Kinda looks like one of those Rat Fink shirts don't it? Just need a shifter coming out the roof.





One side in, a little more prying, pulling, and shoving...

...and the other side is bolted in.
Thank you for your services!

First wheel stand with the new engine in place.


Lookin' good!


One final touch.

Driveshaft in place.

No comments: