Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The King has his crown.

Today I ventured out in the garage and knocked out a few quick/easy things. I got the carb mounted, which entailed a trip up to my neighborhood screw/nut/bolt store. Let me just say, I have perhaps the best fastener store around within walking distance. I already told them upon my first visit the other day "Expect to see me a lot more often." I've been there 3 times just this week. Once my car is on the road, and things get a bit more organized, I'm going to buy an assortment of fasteners from them and an organizer, so I always have a healthy supply of odds and ends handy.

After the carb was in place, I cleaned up the air cleaner assembly, getting it at least half way respectable. Then I used my K&N recharge kit to clean and oil my air filter. After that I got the water pump cleaned up, though realized I didn't have any liquid teflon for the bolts, so that'll get installed tomorrow. I slid under the car to install the starter and quickly realized the new oil pan was gonna cause problems. Luckily, my starter I have is highly customizable in regards to mounting positions and I was able to get it fitted and mounted.

I went to assemble the air cleaner and found that the stud was from the Challenger, and much too short for my tall air cleaner. Another trip to my new favorite shop had me back in business, and the King was crowned. To end the day, I got up in the attic and brought down my exhaust system. I had painted it up a few years ago, after leaking trans fluid had taken it's toll on it's natural silver color. It wasn't exactly the kind of patina I was going for, so some high temp black was sprayed on them.

Tomorrow I hope to get the water pump mounted, MSD box and coil mounted, take a look at my stock gas tank and make sure it's sufficient. I should be able to knock all that out pretty quickly, so maybe then I'll start to untangle the wiring harness and at least get it layed out in the car. The "to do" list is growing shorter by the day!

Engine awaiting accessories.

Tilton high torque mini-starter, thankfully with numerous mounting positions.

Parts borrowed from dad's Challenger...temporarily on loan. Plan is to go with an 800 Demon, new MSD box, and perhaps another Blaster 2 coil. Hopefully by next season.

K&N Filter recharged with fresh oil.
Barry Grant 750 Race Demon installed.

Edelbrock aluminum water pump, pre-cleaning.

Water pump post-cleaning. Need some liquid teflon for the bolts before it can be installed.

After a trial fit of the starter I found it wasn't going to bolt up without hitting the pan.

I had to unbolt the starter from the mounting plate and use an alternate bolt pattern. My new kickout style oil pan kicked out a bit too far, interfering with the starter relay.

Starter installed.

The King has his crown, and aint it beautiful?


I brought the exhaust down from the attic. 3 inch Flowmaster 2 Chamber race mufflers. Needless to say, they were loud before, they'll be louder now.

No comments: