Thursday, June 24, 2010

Intake on, engine ready for installation

I managed to install the Edelbrock Victor Jr intake yesterday. I also learned that RTV silicon sealant has a shelf life. After attempting to use the opened tube, with a nail in it to preserve it, I found the tube was fully cured. Next, I attempted to use the unopened tube, though was met with the same results, the whole tube had already cured. Now granted, the tubes were probably 4-5 years old, but I never would have thought that the unopened tube would be useless.

After a run up to the local Murray's....or O'Reilly as they are now called, I was back in business. After squeezing out a 1/4 inch bead across the front and back of the block, I dropped the intake in place and tightened up all the ARP bolts.

Next, I began rummaging through my parts. Aside from the engine parts/bolts, I seem to have did a very poor job organizing everything that came off the car. Seems I threw a bunch of nuts, bolts, and washers in plastic trays, jars, and even Rubbermaid tubs. I was able to track down the engine mounts, needed bolts, and even transmission bolts. I did manage to baggy the bolts for the torque convertor and flex plate, so that saved some searching.

Next on the agenda is to bolt up the transmission and torque convertor and drop the drivetrain into place.











My Moroso oil pan, kickout style! Should be much safer than the pan it replaced. That pan would be partially supporting the engine in this picture, and I would come to find out by trial and error that it also hung below the Camaro's crossmember. I still drove the car that way for a good 3 years, though looked in the rearview every time I hit a bump or pothole, hoping and praying there wasn't an oil trail behind me. It was so bad that the last oil change I did, I was on the last two flats on the oil drain plug. The other sides had all been ground off from "road rash."


No comments: