Friday, December 06, 2013

2015 Ford Mustang


December 5, 2013 The day Ford unveiled the next generation Mustang.  First off, I will admit, I have been a fan of too many Mustangs over the years.  I'd take a 69-70, as well as an 87-92 notchback, and maybe the current generation.  When comparing the current Mustang to the Camaro and Challenger though, the Camaro finishes 1st, the Challenger 2nd, and Mustang a distant third.




Now that's not to say the current Mustang isn't a good looking car, it just doesn't fit the "muscular look" that I expect.  Yes, I will admit that it hands down whoops on both the Camaro and Challenger in most cases, is a much more nimble car, but the styling is just not tough enough for my tastes.

 
With the new 2015 Mustang, they still haven't won me over.  In fact, I believe in an effort to make the car more global, it has lost some of it's American muscle DNA.  I will admit, some of the styling has already started to grown on me, but others, I simply can't look passed.  The front end for example, other than the wrap around headlights, I think it's horrible.  The grill opening can't help but bring back visions of the Mustang II, and the lower air dam/ground fx looks way too ricey for me.  The tail section also seems odd to me.  The tail lights I can live with, but the angle seems a little strange, and that rear, it's like there is a just too much going on.  The bumper and rear fascia just don't mesh right, and that air diffuser simply should not be painted the body color, it should be black, so as it doesn't stand out.  I can live with, and even would say I like, the side profile of the car. Yet while I like the profile, the side body lines look way too similar to the styling that first came out in 2005.   Overall, the car just needs some tweaking in my opinion.



I'm always glad to see the head to head battle between GM, Ford, and Chrysler continue, and while I may not care for the new Mustang, am happy to see it's still around.

Motor Trend: 2015 Ford Mustang First Look

Ford Motor Company: 2015 Ford Mustang

No comments: