Wednesday, December 18, 2013

1969 Camaro Update: 12/16/2013



Continuing the work a couple days later, after realizing the lift plate wouldn't work, I purchased an engine leveler.  Everything went as planned, but man did I ever make a mess!  I'm not sure if they changed how they make cheap cat litter, or it was simply  the cheap cat litter to blame.  In the past, cat litter has soaked up even the messiest of spills without an issue.  This go round, it created an oatmeal like mess that nothing short of a power washing is going to fix.  To make matters worse, until the mess is cleaned up, the mess sticks to your shoes like glue, requiring some serious work to get the treads clean and free of cat little.  I may have to break down and simply buy oil dry next time, as this is one mess I don't care to deal with again.

At the end of the day, the engine/trans were pulled, and transmission unbolted from the engine.  I plan on moving it to the basement, and starting on the rebuild soon.  The transmission is the largest of the planned projects this winter, and considering I hope to do it inside the house, it shouldn't be as difficult to tackle.

I already told Mrs Clause that I wanted a transmission rebuild kit for Christmas, so that's covered.  Hopefully I can scrape up enough Christmas cash to get the headers out of the way as well.  After that, most all of my list is sub-$100's, and very doable in the time frame I'm shooting for.  With some luck, once the weather breaks, I will be ready to cruise AND race this season!

Back on the ground, nearly ready for the engine/trans to come out. 


Here is the Harbor Freight engine leveler.  I will admit, I have avoided this store for the most part for many years.  With most all of Sears Craftsman tools now made in China, my options are becoming very limited for made in the USA on a budget I can justify.  Now while I haven't started buying hand tools, and likely won't, I am giving them a second look for many other items.  I picked up convoluted tubing for my wiring, zip ties, and a few other items at dirt cheap prices.  While I'm not ready to stock my tool box with their stuff, I think more frequent visits are in my future. 


That's a Harbor Freight special engine hoist..aka "cherry picker" as well.   


The most nervous point of pulling an engine!  Yes, I stopped to take a picture. 


 Out and on the ground (sigh of relief).
 
 



 Trans unbolted, ready for some unsuspecting neighbor to help me get it in the basement.


Part of my growing collection of powertrains.  I have 3 other transmissions in another corner. 
 



 I need to secure that wiring, reroute the brake lines for my line like, and maybe spray a fresh coat of flat black, or semi-gloss, in the engine bay.


Now she sits, waiting for the power to be placed back in her.  Until then, there will be plenty of work for me to do.  I have two boxes of sound deadener in the trunk, waiting to be installed after I pull the interior back out.  Problem is, I'm quickly running out of space!

No comments: