Wednesday, December 18, 2013

1969 Camaro Update: 12/14/2013


With my shop helper by my side, I got back in the garage to finish getting the engine/trans ready to pull out of the Camaro.  It wasn't without incident, as while removing a frozen header collector bolt, the full weight of the exhaust dropped on my nose as the bolt snapped.  Initially, I thought for sure I broke my nose, as the blood instantly poored like a river.  Thankfully, after the bleeding stopped, it amounted to a scratch and a little bruising. Back to work!


 I had previously removed the passenger side header, which is MUCH easier to remove than the driver side, which is more like a game of strategy...and a test of patience.


The driver side also has had mutliple "adjustments" with a ball peen hammer, in order to slide into place.  Even so, I plan to replace these headers over the winter with a new set, so hopefully the days of fighting to get the driver side header in place are over. 


 The driver side exhaust was the side that did the damage to my nose.  Again, I'm VERY lucky it didn't break it.

 Removing the oil filter is part of the puzzle for the header removal.

 Here you can clearly see the "adjustments."

 Leftover evidence of battle wounds.

 As I said, it's a bit of a nightmare snaking this side out.


Header removed, hopefully for the last time. 















Starter removed, ready for rebuild. 








 Crossmember removed.
 Lines disconnected.
Radiator out. 





 Dominator removed, and that is when I discover my engine lift plate does not account for a Dominator bolt pattern.  Well, guess I will be buying that engine leveler from Harbor Freight that I had been considering.



That was a wrap for the day, as until I had a means to actually lift the engine, there wasn't much else I could do.

No comments: