Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Back on Track

Day #2 is going a lot smoother. I started out by getting the fuel pump pushrod plug removed, removed the rod, then installed the block off plate. It wasn't completely without a hitch, as the 12 point ARP bolts were too long, since the plate is much thinner than the plate, but after a quick dig through my parts tub, sufficient bolts were found.

Fuel Pump Blockoff Plate

Next, I installed the new carb studs, and bolted the carb in place...hopefully this time it STAYS in place for awhile. I may have to remove 2 of the nuts though, as I have yet to determine how I am going to attach my throttle cable to this carb, or whether or not my Lokar cable will even work with a Dominator.

Carb Installed

I then installed the cap and rotor on my MSD Pro-billet distributor. Checking the play of the counter-weights, it seemed condensation over the years had the parts moving less than desired. I pulled the top apart, wiping everything down with a little WD40, and soon had everything moving the way it should be. I have to wonder, was this my engine miss I had been chasing? Distributor weights that were sticking? Who knows, but the cap and rotor was now installed.

Distributor cap/rotor installed

Next, I checked the PCV valve/hose for proper length, snipped it a few times until getting the desired length, then placed a hose clamp on my drilled/tapped vacuum fitting on the front of my carb, to ensure a good seal. I also put the upper radiator hose back in place and tightened up the hose clamp, then dropped the air cleaner back atop the engine. Now she's starting to look like something!

PCV valve and hose installed

Upper radiator hose installed

That's it for a few hours, as the wife has an appointment to make, and baby girl will be waking up soon. Later this evening I hope to get the new oil pan gasket in place and pan back tightened up. Then probably get the new exhaust gaskets in place and bolt the headers back on and spark plugs installed. Once the plugs, wires, and accessory drive brackets and belt is back in place, it's time to start running the wiring and figuring out how I'm going to route my fuel system. I know it doesn't seem like I accomplished a lot, but I really don't seem to have a lot left to do. The wiring, to me, it a piece of cake, and actually fun. The few parts I lack, for the electrical and fuel system, I'll have to wait a pay period or two to get. Them damn fittings are a killer!

No comments: