Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Challenger work - 12/12/2012

Went down and worked on dad's Challenger again today.  I just wasn't in the mood to lie on my back under the car today, so I only concentrated on the engine bay.  I have to say, I was shocked at how much I accomplished!  Aside from some minor cleanup in some hard to reach places and corners, the engine bay is about 95% stripped and ready for paint.  I didn't really come across any big surprises.  I'm not sure what is going on in the hood hinge area.  There was body filler on both sides of the fastener hole.I couldn't tell it they had did work on this area or what, but at some point, body filler found it's way.  Structurally, everything appears to be fine, so I'm not overly concerned.

The only other area that really isn't of concern is where I believe the battery tray sat.  The metal was extremely pitted, which leads me to believe that battery acid may have got to it at some point during it's life.  It was the only area in the engine bay that showed any signs of age, so I'm thinking it was thanks to an acid bath.  Structurally, it's fine, and I'm not even sure if I will do anything with it.  That said, we will likely move the batter to the trunk, so it may see just a little attention prior to paint.

The last concern, perhaps the biggest concern, is the mangled up mess of a lower radiator support.  It looks like they've used it a few times to tow the car.  The weld is broke on one side, it's actually torn in one area, somebody tried to straighten it, judging by the creases in the metal making up the side supports.  It could probably be fixed, but I'm thinking of buying a new one and cutting up the part I need and welding it in.  It would probably turn out better, and be easier in the long run.  I'm on furlough for another 2.5 weeks, so I plan on at least another 2 visits down there to finish up the dirty work.

On a side note, I found a buyer for my 12 bolt out of my Camaro, so I will be putting that money towards my Ford 9 inch rear.  Looks like I WILL have a 9 inch by next summer, and likely be able to hit the race track.  I wanna feel some 2 wheels in the sky launches! Until next time, take'r slow, cool, and easy.

015

016

017

018

019

020

No comments: