Thursday, December 20, 2012

Radio Control Cars (and trucks)



Sears Lobo...The Hornet....JRX2...RC12L...Linx II Elite...USA-1, Burns Nitro DX 4wd.

These were the radio control cars I owned back in the day.  Starting with model cars, I grew into the RC world, and I have always thought of it as a stepping stone until I got my license.  I really wish I would have kept a few of them, as I sold them for pennies on the dollar when I had thought I outgrew them.

The above list is in order of purchase, and the Burns Nitro was my bought and last sold.  Being powered by nitro, 1/8 scale, 4wd, it was a terror!  It would do all of 55 mph across grass, confirmed by pacing it against cars traveling down our road.  I regularly raced, modified, and toyed with all my cars.  Looking back, it was likely the first toys I wrenched on, being able to not only take them apart, but ALSO put them back together.

Though the majority of my cars and time in the hobby were the electric cars, and I truly loved my USA-1, there was no denying how awesome the nitro cars were.  When outta fuel, simply fill them up and go.  There was no trickle charge or fast charge, and no batteries to swap out.  Yeah, looking back, it truly was my stepping stone.

I took quick look at Tower Hobbies, THE premier RC company from back then, and apparently a big player still today. I was shocked to see the number of "ready-to-run" cars listed.  For me, the fact that you assembled the kits yourself was part of what separated them from the Sears Lobo, or the Radioshack racers.  It was a pride, building it yourself, modifying it yourself, as it made it YOUR car.

This topic was brought to mind thanks to an article Bangshift ran, but also being the Christmas season, it simply seemed appropriate.  Below are a few pictures and promo videos I found for the cars/trucks I owned.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h174/distantearth1/SearsLobo2.jpg?t=1257249637












No comments: