Saturday, November 24, 2012

Fiberglass, Re-pops, and Chinese bodies - Still Hot Rods

Last outing to the grocery store I made my typical trek down the magazine isle.  It's quickly becoming pointless, as I have subscribed to about 7 car magazines, leaving very few on the shelf to thumb through.  One particular street rod cover caught my attention, and got my thinking, as they covered the building up of a brand new reproduction 55 Chevy.

I can't say whether the body they were using as the basis was made here or overseas, but it had me questioning my very own stance on what is and isn't acceptable to me when it comes to this hobby.  As nice as glass hot rods are these days, it's still not the same as a steel car.  That said, I have long accepted that they ARE real hot rods, just of a different flavor.

To take it a step further, what about these "American" muscle cars being stamped and assembled overseas?  Initially, while excited that many of the most popular muscle cars were now being reproduced, my stomach turned when I thought about them being made in China.

Then, it hit me.  It's not so much where it was built as it is HOW it was built.  I have never been a fan of all original, numbers matching, decals and paint marks, 100% restored to how a car rolled off the assembly line.  While there is no denying such a restoration takes skill, it doesn't develop a uniqueness to stand out in a crowd, a personality applied by it's owner, it's simply exactly the same it was 40-50 years ago.

While I would prefer a Camaro, Mustang, or other American classic be reproduced here.  The simple fact that they are being built and assembled by individuals building cars how they want them, they are simply hot rods...of a different flavor.

Me?  My dream kit/reproduction car would be a mid 60's Corvette being built by Downs Bodies, right here on the west side of Michigan.  I know it's not a REAL Vette, but who cares?  It looks cool, would be built my way, and I really don't care if it can't score a victory in the judging lanes.  That ain't my cup of tea any way.

No comments: