Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Dad's 1970 Challenger R/T: Update

It's been a long while since we've did anything to my dad's Challenger, and I hope that changes this weekend.  Unless any unforeseen plans pop up, I should be able to go visit for the day this Saturday, and hopefully get the undercarriage stripped further and perhaps accomplish a little more tear down.  Years ago I had stripped and Por-15'd the underside from the rear seat to the tail.  I've welded up a few pin holes here and there, and patched a spot or two about the size of a quarter.  Inside the car has already been all Por-15'd after fixing all the spots.  What's left is the underside from the rear seat forward.

I also hope to possibly tear down the suspension and brakes, as we will be replacing essentially everything stock with aftermarket parts.  The suspension will consist of mostly Hotchkis parts, and the brakes will be a Wilwood system.  With a TON of luck, I would like to have a running/driving car by next summer, and finish the body work/paint the following winter.  After going back and forth a few times, I think we wanna get the mechanics out of the way before concentrating on the body.

I will be sure to take pictures as always, and will post our progress some time next week.

No comments: