Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Did I "Freiburger" my Camaro?

For anybody who reads car magazines, you already know who David Freiburger is. For those who have been long time readers, dating back to the 90's, then you know plenty about his 1970 Dodge Super Bee, and it's radical Hemi that led to the "Pros and Cons of a 10-Second Street Car," article published in the November '99 issue of Car Craft magazine. For those that don't know, well, you can read all about him here: David Freiburger's 1970 Dodge Super Bee Unearthed - Rumble Bee Revival.

As friends and long time readers know, my first car, a 305 powered 1989 Firebird, was totaled when a driver failed to stop at a stop sign. So, I can't vouch that I still own my first car, as Freiburger can with his 1970 Mopar. In my defense, I've owned my Camaro since 1996 (when I was 19), and later on down the road bought another 1989 Pontiac that was a step up. The replacement Bird wears the same Maui blue, is the Formula edition, and other than that is nearly an exact replacement. The only downside is as most F-body entusiasts know, you can't get a 5 speed with a 350, and I went for cubic inches this time around, though sadly miss bangin' gears from my first car.

Over the years, my Camaro has been used for many duties. Initially, it was my daily driver...when I didn't have it torn apart. I drove it back and forth to work while home from college. At college, I used it to commute back and forth to class. It was at college that I was labeled the "SuperSport" title, after learning of my somewhat unappreciated 7 am wake up calls when I attempted numerous times to first up my choke-lacking 350, and later, also choke lacking 454.

What led me to where I am today with the car is hard to pin point, as I feel there were multiple influences that forced my hand. First, I had a lot of friends back home, that with each passing year, built an even faster car. Secondly, I think seeing somebody's badass/over the top car at a car show or cruise night played it's own role. A nicely built car with a top notch paint job really turns heads, though you pass by with a beat up/bondo machine with a built engine with a rumble that girates your inner organs, and you won't take a second look at that show queen that passed by prior. Lastly, I think there is something inside of me, a little voice, that told me that a vintage muscle car needs a certain type of engine, and one that pushes the envelope in terms of streetability.

Freiburger stated that where he made his mistake building his 484 Hemi back in the 1990's was that the car wasn't fast enough to compete with the Fastest Street Car competitions, and it was too radical to be considered a street car. These days, I'm taking a step back, wondering, did I go too far? With nearly a nearly .700 lift solid roller, a 4,200 stall speed, and just shy of 6 mpg, will I end up regretting what I built? Will my Camaro end up a race car, trailered to and from the track? I honestly can't answer that question at this point, though considering this summer will be the first full summer in which the car is up and ready to go, I'll better be able to answer that question by next fall.

I suppose I'm lucky in a way, because as radical as my car is, there are approximately 70 car shows/cruises any given week in metro Detroit. Perhaps the maximum 30-45 minute commutes will be the saving grace, and keep the car just enjoyable enough, or should I say tolerable enough. I'm still a rebuilt or replaced rear end away from making it to the race track, but in my opinion, the low 10 seconds on the motor, with mid to low 9's on the NOS, are just where I wanna be. For me, they are by far the most fun cars to watch at the track. Wheels in the air/violent launches are way more enjoyable than the flat/controlled launches typical of most 7-8 second cars. Only time will tell how happy or unhappy I will be with this build. If I were a betting man though, I'd lay my money down on any future engines displacing more cubic inches, and putting down even more power.

My first car reincarnated, has served me well, earned it's keep, and deserving of it's own restoration and modification. I've pondered supercharged, turbo, and twin turbo options...though I think perhaps a nicely built all aluminum LS motor, naturally aspirated, backed by a 6 speed, would give me the road trip car I'm looking for deep down inside. Stay tuned, as in the coming months I'll be heading down to my parents to knock the dust of my Camaro, preparing it for cruise season. Massive burnouts will follow, and now armed with an HD video camaro, documentation will go beyond still shots!

No comments: