Tuesday, March 01, 2011

2011 Detroit Autorama Pictures

2011 Detroit Autorama 096

This year, I think I truly got an overdose of the Detroit Autorama. On any given year, I'll attend the show twice. Once, simply to take 300 or so photos of each and every car I think is cool, or more often, until I run out of space on my memory card. My second visit is simply to walk the show, usually leave the camera at home, and to socialize with the builders/owners of these wicked-awesome rides.

Upon returning from family leave, I was informed by my Sgt that I was submitted to work the Autorama. Directing traffic and roaming the floor would be my primary duties. First, I was excited, then, concerned whether or not I'd be able to enjoy the show. I figured I'd at least give it a shot. In addition to working the 3 days, I hit the show Saturday morning for my walk through and photo session. In the future, I think I'll stick to simply attending the show on my own time, as walking around for 8 hrs with a 30 lb duty belt and uniform to keep you warm outside, though cooks you while indoors, took away from the enjoyment. As has been the case in previous years, the show was top notch, so without further delay, I'll get to the cars.

I'm going to start off with a car that was built by Rod Calvin, a friend of mine, as well as the guy who painted my Camaro. This car was built for a customer, and is in my opinion, Rod's finest car to date. It seems I wasn't the only one to take notice of that fact, as the owner, Ron, took home 2nd place in the Pre-1935 Altered Sedan class. The pictures can't even begin to show how spectacular the paint is. The color is a candy, which started with black pearl, then had red layered over the top. The body is a fiberglass Outlaw body, which among streetrodders, is considered perhaps they best glass body on the market.

2011 Detroit Autorama 180

2011 Detroit Autorama 181

2011 Detroit Autorama 182



2011 Detroit Autorama 007

The Legendary Boss 429 Mustang, 1 of 2 that were at the show.

2011 Detroit Autorama 011

While I usually don't much care for the cars up for the Riddler award, as they are often too over the top in terms of cost as well as build mentality (come on, chrome brake rotors? Really?). This particular one was nicely done, perfect in most every way.

2011 Detroit Autorama 019
You don't see a lot of Buick GS's on the road, let alone convertibles. This one was a perfect example, and a nice alternative to the many 1970 Chevelles out there.

2011 Detroit Autorama 029

An early 1960's Mopar, just what the wife wants.


2011 Detroit Autorama 049
A very nice Firebird!

2011 Detroit Autorama 054
Now THIS is one cool SUV.


2011 Detroit Autorama 056
I've always been a fan of the Mustang LX. Labeled "Modern Muscle," in my book, I suppose that applies to anything post-1980, though a few cars such as the 81 Camaro/Firebird may slip past me and still receive the "Muscle Car" label.

2011 Detroit Autorama 063
A fair amount of AMC products in the house this year. This was by far the most over the top of them all. The owner claimed low 9 seconds on the AMC 401 alcohol injected engine. I got to hear it fire up as it left the show, all I can say is: Goosebumps.


2011 Detroit Autorama 075
Ok, I'll admit, this little 6 cylinder with a blower on top poking through the hood of a Toyota Forerunner, which was ruined in most every way imaginable, is still intimidating to say the least.

2011 Detroit Autorama 090
Large amount of new Camaros at the show, and a lot of vendors showing off their modified models, with many in the 750 hp range.

2011 Detroit Autorama 098
Beautiful blue 69 Camaro with some serious power between the fenders.


2011 Detroit Autorama 104
Nice flame job.


2011 Detroit Autorama 128
Chrysler Imperial...shrunk.


2011 Detroit Autorama 133
One of the nicest Plymouth Dusters I've ever seen.


2011 Detroit Autorama 153
Not often that you see a customized Jag, but this one was sweet as hell.


2011 Detroit Autorama 177
Totally customized 3rd Gen Camaro, modified by Rides by Troy (Troy Trepanier) For more on this car, check it out at Rad Rides: F87 Camaro


2011 Detroit Autorama 225
There is no arguing, a blown car is badass!


2011 Detroit Autorama 235

2011 Detroit Autorama 239
Pontiac Lives!!!


2011 Detroit Autorama 242
Built by Gordon Rojewski, this is one of the nicest 3rd gen Firebirds I've seen. Under the hood is a turbo charged small block Chevy making 920 hp. Look for an upcoming entry that reviews this ride in greater detail.


2011 Detroit Autorama 250

2011 Detroit Autorama 265
This was a Shelby made a few years ago by the man himself, Carroll Shelby. Though I think production numbers never reached original expectations, this is still an awesome looking car.


2011 Detroit Autorama 289
Total class with this baby.


2011 Detroit Autorama 293
Front Engine Dragster....one of my "Bucket List" cars.


2011 Detroit Autorama 290


For more pictures from Autorama, click below.

2011 Detroit Autorama Pictures

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man...that Jaguar was wild!..not my choice of car BUT...credit where credit is due!