Thursday, March 24, 2011

Central Michigan University Ends Automotive Technology Program

In 1972, Central Michigan University started an Automotive Technology program, headed up with the arrival of Bill DeKryger. When 2010 started off, the Automotive Technology program came to an end when Mr DeKryger entered retirement.

When I arrived at CMU's summer orientation in 1995, I really had no idea what I wanted to major in, or even what CMU had to offer. Fresh out of high school, I was still stumbling through life clueless. Having developed a deep passion for cars over the last few years, when I discovered CMU offered an Industrial Technology degree with an Automotive concentration, I found my path.

Not only did I find a program perfect for me, I discovered others who shared my passion. Growing up, mom and pop automotive shops, as well as performance shops (Super Shops 1963-1997), were coming to the end of the road. With the AutoZones, Murray's, and Advanced Autos taking over, getting a car part entailed talking to somebody punching your info into a computer, not understanding that it didn't matter what year the vehicle was, as nothing was original, and all you needed was a set of gaskets for a small block Chevy. With the loss of these shops, many of us gearheads lost our places to hang out. For me, the shop at CMU took on that role.

Within a short time, I was employed as a shop assistant, as were many of my closest friends at CMU. The knowledge we learned, projects we tackled, and stories we have will last a lifetime. We were downright spoiled in regards to what we had at our fingertips. A hot tank, lifts/drive up hoists, bench dyno, flow bench, crankshaft balancer, valve grinder, and an endless supply of tools. It was truly a gearheads paradise.

If not for the Industrial Technology program, and most specifically the Automotive shop, I'm not sure whether or not college would have been for me. In one sense, we were somewhat of the castoffs, or even the "greasers" of our era. We'd come back from a day at class, or evening during open shop, covered in dirt, grime, and grease from head to toe...loving every minute of it.

I have to this day, so many memories tucked away from those days and nights in the shop. Much of my 69 Camaro was built in that very garage, and while I have made some changes, it all started in that garage.

Perhaps the most memorable for me was my final year at CMU. I had rebuilt my Camaro from the ground up, and the finishing touch was a 513 hp 454 Big Block Chevy. After the build, I was tuning the engine on our SF901 Dyno. Occasionally, the exhaust tubes would fall off the headers during a 7,000 rpm pull. The noise was music to my ears, though to others working in other classrooms throughout the building, it was a reason for curiousity. More than a few people came wandering into the lab to see what all the commotion was about.

When I got news from my former professor that with his retirement, the university had decided to end the program, I was a bit hurt. I had this sinking feeling inside, and a heavy heart. I had always hoped to some day go back and stop into the lab, perhaps even see what the students of today were working on. Those days are over, and along with many of the mom & pop automotive shops, and performance shops, are now part of a bygone era. I am just thankful for the times I had, the friends I met, and knowledge I took away. While I won't be able to revisit the garage, I do hope to one day meet up with some of my friends and my former professor, with his Shelby Cobra he had talked about building all those years, and finally is becoming a reality.

With that, I leave you with a short article that was printed in the college paper at CMU, just prior to Mr DeKryger's retirement.

Automotive Technology Professor Leaving Behind Legacy.

No comments: