Sunday, July 04, 2010

Seats and hood installed.

Yesterday I got the seats installed. What I thought was going to be a quick and easy 15 minute job, turned into a several hour ordeal. The back seat practically drops into place, the front seats were a different story. Once setting the passenger seat in position, I realized that the holes were not going to line up. The side bracket, attaching the back of the seat to the bottom, was interfering with the rollcage cross bar. Initially I attempted to give the bracket a few smacks with a sledge hammer, hoping to flatten it out enough to work. That didn't work. Next, I disassembled the seat, installed the seat bottom first, then used pry bars to wedge the side brackets back into position. I got the seats to fit, though it's difficult to flip the seat forward. That's fine, because while the back seat is in place, it's really only there for looks, as it's nearly impossible to get back there.

I also painted up the gas tank and hood hinges. While stripping the hood hinges down with an angle grinder armed with a wire wheel, I managed to do some damage...to myself. The wire wheel slipped off the hinge, grabbed hold of my t-shirt, and bit me good in the stomach. It took me awhile to unravel the t-shirt from the tool, I then headed into the house to clean up the wound. Nothing too severe, but it hurt like hell cleaning it up.

After painting up the hinges, I installed them on the car. Last step for the day was moving the hood out of the basement and installing it on the car. I also lowered the car off the jackstands so that the engine weight could start to settle the suspension into place.




























No comments: