Monday, June 16, 2014

Hot Rod Power Tour: Norwalk, OH

While my Camaro didn't make the trip down, I simply couldn't let the Power Tour pass us by without stopping my Norwalk to check out the action.  While a very light rain prevented fun runs down the track until around 4pm, there were plenty of cars on the grounds to check out.  So many cars in fact that they had to start parking them on the west side of the track, after running out of space in the pit area.  It was a great turnout, and an amazing number of VERY nice vehicles.  This was my two daughters first trip to the drag strip, and while our 1 year old wasn't really phased by it, our 3.5 year old was having a blast.  She said "Daddy, this is cool!"  She then was cheering on the cars, and then even stated "Daddy, stop playing on your phone and watch the cars!"  I don't think I will have any trouble getting her back to the track!



The car responsible for me owning my '69.  I first read about this car in 1993 or so, and I was hooked.  I've watched this car change many times over the years, just as I've watched mine also undergo many changes. Thanks Crusher Camaro!






One sharp '58 Chevy!


When they first announced the Z28 I was skeptical.  $75K for a Camaro?  I will now agree, that it has it's place amongst the lineup, and is perhaps more worthy of the badge than any Camaro from any generation.



Perhaps the ONLY candle apple 2nd gen Firebird I have ever seen.




I admit, I didn't know if this was a new car, old car, or even a kit car.  Then, I stumbled upon an article in the Detroit News a day or two later.  It's a Lucra, and seemingly one hell of a track car. 

This is what my '68 Firebird would have looked like.




Big, road hugging, Mopar.




I believe this car was featured in Hot Rod not too long ago.  Simply amazing car.




Viper eater.  No, really!  Powered by a Duramax Diesel, this thing edged a Viper with a 12.1 to a 12.2 in the 1/4 mile...and the crowd went wild!














One of the coolest Olds ever.








I spotted this Camaro from a few isles away.  It caught my eye, as I new it was looked a little odd.  As I got closer, I realized that it was a 4th gen Camaro with a kit to make it look like a 1st gen.  I will say, I like it better than the Vette kits I have seen, but it still looks a little odd.  If they added chrome side mirrors, I think I could very well live with it.

I will say, from the rear, most Camaro enthusiast would be hard pressed to tell that it wasn't a '69 Camaro.  They truly did an awesome job in my opinion, and would be curious to see a t-top car.




I think the future of drag racing holds a lot of promise.  I say this, because I was watching a lot of "late model" cars running down the track.  My definition of late model is anything that came with efi from factory, so the 80's cars to the stuff being sold on lots today.  You saw a lot of owners of new Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, Vettes, Vipers, and even Caddys blasting down the 1/4 mile, which is VERY healthy for the sport in my opinion.

2014 Hot Rod Power Tour - Norwalk, OH

No comments: