Saturday, January 18, 2014

Camaro Update: 1/18/2014

 It's been awhile since I updated my progress, but it hasn't been due to lack of work.  I got back at it a few days ago, and with a new year upon us, the clock is ticking to get my Camaro back on the road.  As is most always the case, it hasn't exactly been uneventful, and I'm hoping for some positive new this week.

Here is my 10" Coan Converter which will be sent out to Coan, cut open, and inspected.  I haven't had any issues, this is simply precautionary.


 The flexplate wanted to be stubborn, as two of the six bolt heads rounded out and refused to come out.


 The two stubborn bastards.


 I initially tried a sawzall.  After wearing the teeth off of two blades with minimal progress, I decided on another course of action.


 Next up, the cutting wheel, which got the job done.


 Bolt heads gone!  Since I had already planned on a new flexplate, I wasn't worried about damaging it.


 Flexplate off, two bolt studs still remain.


 Flexplate removed.


 Next up, I decided to start removing the interior, in preparation of sound deadener installation.


 The garage had also become a disaster.  Tools and parts everywhere, it was time to tidy things up a bit.


 Nothing cooler than two Big Blocks...except maybe 3 Big Blocks.


 Cheap-o engine stand.  I swear, this IS the last time I will use this one.


 Front seats removed.


 Time to drain the oil, and trouble begins.  Last year, I had oil pressure fluctuations I was concerned about.  The magnetic oil drain plug showed signs of dull gray metal.  No shavings or anything of substance, but of concern just the same.


 See that light colored curve to the left in the oil?  Yeah, that's not a reflection, that's some sort of metallic substance.

 Engine on the stand, ready for further inspection.





 Time to get the pan off, see if there are any surprises.





 Pan off, nothing obvious popped up.










 Back seat removed, ready to quiet things down!








 I pulled the valve covers, will check valve lash soon, make sure its not a cam issue.


Work bench semi-organized.

Next stop, the engine shop, hopefully this week.  There doesn't seem to be any major damage, but I want to make sure we know where this metal is/was coming from, as well as resolve the oil pressure issue, which may be one in the same.  I'm wondering if the troubles didn't start from my transmission, as I recently read that if a certain lock ring or clip of some sort broke, it could cause my occasional 1-2 shift problems, as well as take out the rear thrust bearing in the engine.  That could likely be responsible for the metal in my oil, as well as my oil pressure fluctuation issues.  Hopefully, an engine wash, near bearings, and perhaps a turned crank will be all I need.  I really want to be racing this year, but depending upon the damage, this could be a deal breaker.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

No comments: