Thursday, January 23, 2014

Camaro Engine Update - 1-23-2014

Today, I loaded up my engine and took it to Tico Race Engines, in Moscow, MI.  I am happy to say, we discovered no major damage.  I actually discovered the source of metal in the oil myself upon tear down at their shop.  As I removed the timing cover, I inspected the back side, and saw 3 equally placed grooves where the double roller timing chain was interfering with the factory stock cover.  The front main bearing had some obvious debris get in it, but the journal was fine, as were all the others and the rod bearings.  That said, the rods weren't as tight in the caps as a stock set would be, so both rod and main bearings will be replaced.

Other than a wash, aftermarket timing cover, new gaskets and oil pump are in order as well.  After that, it should be good to go.  Thankfully, the minimal damages will still permit me to get my car back on the road, and thankfully, it appears I should make the track this year.  The engine will be done sooner than later, as I was told it should be ready for pickup within a couple of weeks.  Hey, I can't argue with that!

Engine lifted.




Engine cradle installed.



In the truck and ready to go.


Cylinder heads off, no trouble.


Shortblock ready to come apart.


You can see the groves in this photo.  Look at the three small indentations in the inner radius and you can see where the chain was hitting.




Roller lifters all looked good, as did the cam lobes. The valve lash all checked out prior to disassembly so I didn't suspect any valvetrain issues.


Disassembled shortblock.


Factory GM forged steel nitrated crank.  Seems to be handling around 700 hp without a problem.


Pan and pump. The pump looks like it may have taken a little abuse, perhaps even from running 20w 50 oil.  My builder told me that that heavy oil is sometimes rough on the pumps, and its cheap insurance to simply replace it.

No comments: