Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Love the Beast (2009)

 

Love the Beast (2009) Poster
I ran across this title recently on Netflix.  Last night, while lying in bed, I figured I'd give it a shot.  I honestly didn't have much hope for it, as I couldn't help but prepare myself for what I expected to be an extremely cheesy car flick.  Man, was I ever surprised! 

What I discovered was possibly one of THE BEST car documentaries ever made.  This movie captures our psychological attraction to cars, and I was shocked to hear Dr Phil nail it!  When Eric Bana wrecked his car, his pride and joy, his lifelong passion, I felt his pain.  I felt his pain, because I had experienced it.  My first car, which I planned on always holding onto, was totaled in an accident just 5 years after I got it.  Refusing to completely lose that first car bond, I would purchase a nearly identical car 8 years later, one in which I still have and always plan on having.

As much as it hurt to lose my first car, it's replacement, my 69 Camaro, would probably hurt even more.  Why?  Well, because of all the blood, sweat, and tears poured into it.  Jay Leno says it best in the movie, and tells Eric Bana had he rebuilt the car the last time, he probably wouldn't have wrecked it.  Had it been his time and effort, he would have driven the car differently.  Because the 3rd restoration/modification wasn't his time and effort, he treated it like a rental car.  Perhaps he was right.  While I don't question Eric's love for his car, maybe he did push it a bit harder because it was professionally built, and it wasn't his time and effort this go-round.

I did some searching, and was happy to learn that Mr Bana DID get around to getting the car put back together.  I'm sure it was no easy project, as the car appeared to have extensive damage that affected nearly every part of the car.  I would highly recommend checking this movie out, as it is truly amazing!  I never even knew about this Targa Tasmania race, and thought it would be an amazing race to race in...until seeing what happened to Eric's Ford Falcon.



No comments: