Wednesday, August 15, 2012

San Diego, CA to Detroit, MI: Lincoln Hwy - Day 4

002

Our last day to our trip started off with a beautiful sunrise in Platte, MO.  We anticipated a fairly boring final stretch, though looked forward to a stop by Antique Archaeology in Leclair, Iowa.  As expected, our trip through the midwest felt a lot like home.  Lots of fields, rolling hills, and more trees than a great portion of our trip.  Aside from passing over some rivers, the stretch was fairly uneventful.  Still, our 800+ mile stretch seemed easier than passed days, as this day would end at home.


003

006
At one of the rest stops in Iowa.

009
That's Des Moines, Iowa off in the distance.  Of the many skylines we say, I have to say that Detroit, with all of her troubles, ranks among the best of the best.  Mostly thanks due to the 1920's skyscrapers.  The whole "modern" designs of the last 50 years are simply different takes on concrete and glass, with little to know detail differentiating them in the sky.

012
I got it bad.


013


018
The shop was smaller than it even seems on tv.  I recognized much of what we saw from American Pickers.  Still, their store stock wasn't pretty light, so I'm thinking they must sell a lot of the stuff at auction or online.  As much as I wanted to buy something antique, there was simply nothing I found I had to have.  I walked out with a poster, sticker, magnet, and license plate...all new stock.


020

027

033
Across the street, Danielle from the show has her own shop.  Again, nothing really that fell into my "gotta have it" needs."  Although a poster of Danielle as well as a magnet found their way home with us.  Sadly, we didn't get to meet Danielle, Mike, or Frankie.


040
The Mississippi.


054


060
We saw more than a few "barn finds."  We passed a Charger that literally looked like it was either pulled from a barn or pulled from the mud.  Looked pretty solid, and left me a bit jealous.


065


067
Honda's attempt at building a pickup truck.  I kept waiting for a major suspension malfunction to occur.  The picture doesn't do it justice, this truck was squatting like nobody's business.


068
Home sweet home.  Well, about 200+ miles from here.

Our trip was nothing less than amazing.  Not a once in a lifetime trip, but a trip that left me hungry for more.  It's not a trip we would probably be able to take every year, but definitely the type of trip I'd like to take every 3 years or so.  I had never before saw so much of the country.  Never taken in so much Americana.  I have a new appreciation for the small towns, the mom and pop hotels, and most importantly, the two lane black top.  I will be sure to write a wrap up sometime over the next week or so, as I still have a lot to say.  Until then, look forward to my Woodward Dream Cruise coverage from this upcoming weekend!

San Diego to Detroit - Photos

No comments: