Friday, August 03, 2012

Detroit, MI to San Diego, CA - Route 66: Day 4

Day 4 was by far the most amazing part of Route 66!  I had previously found other travels state that the trip from Seligman to Oatman were simply amazing.  Making our way up the mountains and into Oatman was a driving experience unlike anything I've had.  The curves were tight, drop offs long, and speeds were at times a crawl.  While I only noticed one vehicle that had exceeded the edges of the road, I was told later that there are areas you can look over the side and see many vehicles which have fallen to their deaths over the years.  I can only assume the same for their occupants. Oatman itself can best be described by the slogan I read in the town itself "The Ghost Town that refuses to die!" It truly is one of the most unique places I've ever visited, tucked away in one of the most obscure places one can imagine.  The burros are a leftover (or should I say left behind) from when the town was a booming gold mining town.  Generations of burros now use to, and expectant, of you to feed them as you pass through.

We took Old 66 from Flagstaff all the way to the California line.  From that point, in order to make up some much needed time due to a late start, we took the freeway the rest of the way.  After 4 full days of driving, I will admit, we just wanted to get there at this point of the trip.  Now somewhat settled in, it's time to get a little rest and relaxation in!

I'm not positive what route we will take upon our return, but I'd still like to see Speed Week at the Salt Flats in Utah, so it will likely be a more northern route back.  I will be sure to give day by day updates upon our return.  I also hope to hit a car show or two while here, perhaps starting with Escondido's cruise tonight.  With that said, here are a few of the pictures from day 4, along with all the rest of the pictures from Detroit to San Diego.



017



018



019



020



024


030



033



034



049



050



065



087



089



092



099




105


108



110



111



113



122



125



126



129



130



131



139



160



163



163

Detroit, MI to San Diego, CA

No comments: