Monday, August 20, 2012

2012 Woodward Dream Cruise

001
My ride, before the overheating trip home.

Automotive Overload.

That is how I would best describe the Woodward Dream Cruise.  There isn't a single automotive event that draws a larger number of cars, spectators, or variety of vehicles.  This year's event didn't prove uneventful for me, as I ran into troubles leaving the show Friday night.

Tired of battling cooling troubles, back in 1999 or so, I copied my friend's solution but mounting 4 Flex-a-lite electric fans on the back of my aluminum radiator.  Initially, all 4 were wired on one circuit with an adjustable temp control/relay.  Learning the ills of my ways, I wired them up correctly this past winter, with a relay for each, one on a toggle, the other on the adjustable temp sensor.  I knew when I bought them that they were not intended for street use, but they worked flawless for me on trips several hundred miles long, while stuck in traffic, and at the track.  They worked fine, right up until this year.  I lost 1 fan a few months back and figured I could get by with the remaining 3.  I can't say whether it was the loss of the first fan, or simply the fact they weren't intended for street use, but I had a catastrophic failure of the remaining 3 fans.

The fan shrouds literally deformed from the heat, seizing up the fans, then progressively burning each one up.  If that weren't enough, because of the shrouds were a closed design aside from the openings for the fan, once they stopped, it was restricting the air so much that the engine progressively got hotter even on the freeway.  Soon, I was looking at 260 degrees and forced to pull off to the shoulder, blowing over half my coolant out.

I let it cool for a bit, then limped off the freeway and into an industrial park/automotive supplier.  Lucky for me, a fellow gearhead worked at the company, Valeo, and gave me a helping hand until my friend Scott showed up.  After topping off the radiator, we took off for Scott's shop a few miles away, stopping occasionally, and removing the electric fans during one parking lot break in hopes of gaining additional air flow.  Once at his shop we installed a mechanical fan and I was back on my way for home, hoping this would offer a temporary fix of my cooling troubles, and allow me to return to the show the next day.

Not only did the mechanical fan, without a shroud, cool my engine.  It cooled it better than I think the engine has ever been cooled!  Even with a 195 degree thermostat, my temps on the way home never got over 185 on the freeway, and hit 195 once I got off the freeway and stopped at a gas station close to home.  The last mile home, it was back down to 185-190.  I'm sold on mechanical fans and will gladly give up the 5-10 hp a flex fan may sacrifice.  I'm not saying electric fans can't work, as they worked sufficiently for me for years.  I'm just saying that when they fail, they can be a major pain in the ass.  This winter I will upgrade with a shroud, perhaps a different mechanical fan, but don't think I will even consider a pusher electric fan at this point.  Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone, and it's back to mechanical for me.

As for the show?  It was amazing as ever!  This year in addition to my dad bringing his 1995 Pontiac Formula, my father-in-law brought his 2004 Rumble Bee.  It was a fun family outing that I hope becomes a family tradition for both sides of my family in future years.  Even had a few friends stop by this year, and this was the first time we had a tent to sit under for added comfort.  In addition to the photos below, be sure to click on the link to see all 400+ pictures.
250
Dad's Formula

248
Father-in-laws Rumble Bee

382
Probably my favorite traditional Hotrod of the show.  There were a much greater number of streetrods this year than in the past few years, which was nice to see.

007
My favorite Vette of the show.

016
Awesome Packard, with Big Block Chevy Power.  I have to say, there was a time when I was fine with everything Chevy Powered.  I have concluded that while everything I own would have to be V8 powered, I would like to believe it would be the correct make engine.

020


036

045
A few Panteras were at the cruise.

047

065


073
The nicest Chevy II I have seen.

084

114

115

157

166


171

179

197

200
You may recall this Hotrod from last year.  I only saw it drive by once.  Talk about an engineering marvel.  Not another like it I'm sure.  Yes, that is a Caterpillar engine in it.

221

223

228

239
70's style!

265

270
You don't see too many Syclones these days.  Or Typhoons for that matter.

276

277
Sweet!

281


285

295

307

320

323

334

344

349

357
I believe this is a 61 Cadillac.  I use to consider the 1959 as my favorite, but this one has become my new favorite.  While I still love the 59 boat, this one just looks....more chiseled, nicer lines, and a sharper design.  I'd take one in a heartbeat.

366

368
An old Hudson.  I'd still like to check out the Hudson museum in Ypsi before summer is over.

391
Blue Knight Rider?  Really?

410
These Broncos, and similar Scouts, are two old SUV's I'd love to own.


So that concludes another Dream Cruise, and typically is a sign that the cruise season is winding down.  I still have a few more shows under my belt, the the summer is coming to an end, and soon I'll be starting on that list of winter improvements on my ride.  Next up however, is the much talked about Hines Drive Cruise, that some have called their favorite of all cruises, after it's innaugural year last August.  I will have to see for myself.  Frankenmuth may also be in the plans, though the Camaro won't be making that trip if we go.  Hard to believe summer has nearly passed us already!


2012 Woodward Dream Cruise - Photos

No comments: