Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Winter Plans

Our monstrosity of a deck is now stained/sealed, and this year's last minute project is now out of the way. While I'd like to get our lean-to greenhouse up before snow, it's not as big of a priority. Now, I'm getting closer to concentrating on my Camaro. While my wish list is long, this winter's portion consist of the necessities for which will make my car more dependable and run better.

First on the list, the electronics. I'm going to start from square one, ordering up a new EZ Wiring kit to completely re-wire the car from the ground up. I will also be sending out my complete MSD ignition to MSD to have them bench test it. I also need to tie up the troubles my fans have been causing, by installing a few relays, and perhaps a second thermostat so each set of fans turns on at separate temps. Though I have a remote cooler for the trans, I think a fan for the cooler may be in order as well.

With the electronics out of the way, I will focus on the fuel system. A new gas tank with sump, new lines, high performance mechanical pump, intake, and new carb will complete the package. With the fuel and spark completely revamped, I also plan on a new exhaust system. My headers fit horribly, and nothing short of a set of custom built headers specifically for my car will solve my clearance issues.

Another area of concern is my transmission. I bought this trans in a pinch, after I thought my Th350 I had rebuilt had blown at the strip. Later, I discovered it was actually my torque converter that grenaded, and the trans was likely fine. While the TH350 still sits on the shelf, I'm thinking going with the TH400 was a wise insurance move, considering they are known as one of the most durable designs built to date. I know little about this trans, as I bought it through a newly acquired friend while at CMU up in Mount Pleasant, MI.

This newly acquired friend was nothing more than a random stop along the roadway after spotting an early 1970's Camaro in front of his house. We spoke a few times, and one of his friends set me up with a rebuilt TH400 for something around $450...with stock converter. Even at late 1990's prices, that was a steal! The trans served me well for many blasts down the track, as well as 5 seasons of cruising. Now however, something funky is going on with 2nd gear. While I haven't checked whether or not it's a shifter cable issue yet, I'm thinking that a refresh of the trans, and finding out exactly what I got inside, wouldn't be a bad idea before I start hitting the drag strip hard within the next few years.

There are a few other "tuning" items on the list, such as a fuel pressure gauge and air/fuel ratio, but for the most part, the items above will cover this winter's projects. While I've been hesitant to disable my Camaro, I realize that nothing I plan on tackling this winter couldn't be put back in place in a matter of days. So, while I may fire the big dog up one last time, the work should start to get under way in the next few weeks. Stay tuned....

No comments: