Tuesday, October 25, 2011

EZ Wiring

I just finised making my first off-season purchase, a birthday present to myself. In light of the damage I believe my 4 electric fans caused, I decided the $185 for a new EZ Wiring harness would be money well spent. I used their harness the last time I rewired my Camaro, and have also helped more than a few friends install the same harness in their rides. Aside from affordable, the EZ Wiring kit has each and every wire labeled every few inches, making rewiring your project a breeze. In the past, all the wires were black. They now offer they option for color coded and labeled wires. While I found labeled black wires more than sufficient, I figured it wouldn't hurt to also have them color coded, thus allowing cross reference to factory wiring schematics, if ever needed down the road.

I will likely remove the full ignition system from the car over the next few weeks, though with the holidays coming up, I'll likely wait until after the new year to send it out for bench testing. I also began shopping for transmission rebuild kits for my TH400, as I suspect something is going bad, and it wouldn't hurt to freshen it up any way. From what I've learned, there really are no special tricks other than a rebuild in order to insure that the trans will handle the added horsepower thrown at it.

After the re-wiring, the next move will be the full fuel system, from gas tank to carb, it will be a total revamp of the system. A tight game plan should have the Camaro on the road by early spring, ready for the earliest shows of the season.

No comments: