Wednesday, October 05, 2011

The Car Show

I started recording The Car Show a few months back, as it seemed like a show I would enjoy. Recently, I started watching the backlogged episodes I had recorded. The show seemed to have a strong cast, with Adam Corolla, John Salley, Matt Farah, and Dan Neil. Right from the start, I began to hear discrepencies coming out of their mouths. Some, I could let slide, but then they started getting to be a bit too tough to swallow.

During their 0-60 portion of the show, the 4 cast members discuss current automotive news. In one particular episode, they talked about the Dodge Viper coming back. Not only did they really dog on the Viper, Matt Farah of Smokingtire.com went so far as to say there were ACR Vipers sitting on lots for $10,000, not selling. $10,000? Did he really just say that?

The episode I watched today however takes the cake. Again, during the 0-60 portion of the show, they were discussing the new Chevrolet Caprice. The car will be based on the late Pontiac G8, and only be available to law enforcement agencies. It's rear wheel drive and powered by the 6.0 V8. These morons wrote it off as a front wheel drive/V6 car, apparently mistaking it for the G5/G6. Somebody even attempted to pile on Pontiac, stating "Oprah couldn't even give these cars away!" Now, I could be mistaken, as I'm not a big Oprah fan, but I am pretty sure it was the G5 that she gave away, or possibly the G6. It most certainly was NOT the G8.

The G8 was perhaps one of the hottest cars Pontiac had built with 4 doors in 4 decades. Yeah, I know, it had 4 doors. That said, the styling was above and beyond the GTO that the G8 replaced. The car was much more muscular looking, REAR WHEEL DRIVE, and while a V6 was available, the 6.0 and optional 6.2 v8's, producing a very respectable 361hp/415hp were what made this ride such a top performer. These supposed "car guys" all wrote it off as a front wheel drive/V6 Pontiac? That was just too much to take.

Lastly, perhaps nail in the coffin for me, is their constant ripping on the current Corvette. I'm sure the car has it's shortcomings when compared to exotic Italian counterparts, costing 2-3x as much. The king of the hill, ZR1 spanks about any car out there, and warrants respect, not the"old guy who just got divorced and is looking for a 24 yr old" tag these "car guys" put on it. Is it really any different than the guy driving the other options out here? In the same breath they gave praise to the Audi R8. Is it just me, or does every Audi made look the same? I couldn't tell the R8 from their entry level model, and I personally feel the vast majority feel the same. Now, EVERYBODY can recognize a Vette.

This show just isn't what I expected, and will promptly be deleted, offering more space for Top Gear instead, which I consider a far superior/more well rounded show.

No comments: