Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Taste of Woodward

While the number of cruisers have been growing leading up to the official "cruise day," I had yet to venture up that way. Last night, the lady and I traveled up to check it out. While a little light when we first arrived around 6 pm, things really started to pick up an hour later. We probably wouldn't have even headed that way last night had it not been for a conversation I overheard while at Greenfield Village. An out of towner from Illinois was talking with one of the Village workers about his car collection and stated he brought up his 2007 Shelby Mustang GT500 for the Dream Cruise. He and his wife had cruised the strip a bit the night before. That's all it took, I had the Dream Cruise on my brain, so a few hours later, north we headed.

There were many cars cruising the strip and parked in the lots, but perhaps the most amazing was a guy from Canada. He had a 1938 Lincoln Zephyr that was beautifully restored. The restoration however was not what made this car so amazing. The fact that he was paralyzed from the waist down, with obvious limited range of motion in his upper body, yet still operated the car is what was amazing. The driver side had reinforced steel to support his electric wheelchair, complete with a lift. The controls looked to be variations of toggle switches and paddles. He and his car were attracting quite the crowd. I had wished I could have got a chance to talk with him, and take pictures of his sweet ride. Perhaps I'll come across it this evening if we make it, or maybe on Saturday.

As for Saturday, I only hope that I can make the cruise. I have made 13 straight, only missing the first year. This year however, I have Lasik eye surgery on Friday, a check up Saturday morning, and am unsure as to how I'll be feeling/seeing afterwards. I'm a trooper though, so hopefully I'll be able to tough it out and make it to the show. I'll be sure to get 100's of pictures, as I have in the past.

No comments: