Thursday, August 28, 2008

Progress (personally, spiritually and mechanically)

I need to apologize for my lack of Fairmont updates. I’ve actually been working SO much on the car that I’ve had little time to write about it. Well I find myself in Metro Airport getting ready for a much needed vacation to Florida and one of my goals is to write a few blog entries about my car. Wow, I just found out I got upgraded to first class on the flight home. Sounds like the start of a great vacation!

I started my Fairmont project shortly after I got my first “real” job out of college. I started my current job in 2001 and the search for a replacement Fairmont quickly began. It took about a year to find but I finally located a prime 1978 Fairmont Futura in Florida for $1150. I then had the car shipped up to Michigan for $500 and that’s when the real fun began.

In 1994 I was given a 1978 Fairmont with a 302/5 speed drivetrain as a high school graduation present. I LOVED that car. It was the first real project “musclecar” that I ever had. But being that I was in college and commuting to Oakland University it was hard to afford the sub-20 mpg at $1.09 premium (!!!). So I sold the car off (and replaced it with a 1989 Ford Festiva!) and vowed that after I graduated I would build a bigger and badder version of that car.

So between 2001-2003 I pretty much just tore the car apart and started collecting parts. I pulled the engine and trans, stripped out the interior and yanked the front and rear suspension. The car has been on jackstands ever since.

In 2005 I had a run in with a friend who was trying to drink and drive and that whole situation caused me to re-evaluate my life and the direction it was headed. The result of that was I started going to church (again), began mentoring high school students, became a discussion leader in BSF (Bible Study Fellowship), and quit drinking and smoking.

Which brings me to now. I have figured out why I’ve made so much progress this summer. In 2007 I had a huge motorcycle accident and I spent most of that year recovering and didn’t make much progress on the car. But 2008 has been different. Instead of nursing massive hangovers on Saturday and Sunday I now wake up and am ready to attack the car! This year I’ve made more progress on the car than all the other years combined. I’ve finished the mini-tub job, installed the mock up drivetrain, welded in the motor mounts, finished and welded in the roll cage, installed the fully adjustable coil-over rear suspension, ran a full 3.5 inch mandrel bent exhaust over the axle, and am almost complete with the front suspension. I’m actually starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Progress is a good thing. Like it’s been said – Today's progress was yesterday's plan.

Peace.
We$leyJ
Matthew 18:2-4

No comments: