Sunday, August 03, 2008

First Look: 2010 Chevy Camaro

Photo courtesy of Motor Trend Magazine


I stopped into the GM RenCen a few days ago. To my surprise, they had not one, but TWO new production versions of the upcoming Camaro. Both cars appear to have been the same cars used for Motor Trend's photo Gallery below. I have to say, the production version holds true to the concept, and even looks better in my opinion! Sadly, a b-pillar was implented into the car's design, so the full open air sides with the windows down is gone. I'm not sure how much, if any, they changed the front and rear of the car, but both seem much more refined now, especially the front/grill area. One other apparent change, which I'm not sure whether it is still an option, is the hood scoop far north on the hood. To me, it simply didn't look like it belonged on the Camaro. For now at least, it seems they have gone with a cowl induction type hood. Should only be a matter of time before Glasstek or Harwood comes out with a 4 inch version, giving the car a bit more attitude.

A few things that continue to baffle me are the weight/mpg for the car. Two generations ago, Firebirds/Camaros were getting 25 mpg highway, while weighing in at 3400 lbs. The last generation, which ended in 2002, was around 27-28 mpg highway, while weighing a bit more, in the 3500 lb range. (these are actual weights of both mine, and my dad's Formulas). The new generation Camaro to be released will get around 23 mpg with the initial top V8 engine, while weighing in at a porkly 3900 lbs! I will admit, power has risen with each respective generation. My car is rated at 245 hp (though 345 ft/lbs of torque!), my dad's was 275 hp from factory, and the new Camaro will be rated at 420 hp for the 6 speed version. Yet is seems the happy median for increasing power, while also increasing mpg, seems to have been crossed, as the mpg numbers dropped off significantly. On a positive note however, the V6 version is said to have over 300 hp, which would top the last generations V8 model, and hopefully surpass it in fuel economy.

Fuel economy...didn't think that would ever be of as much concern to me as it is now. I'm still a gear head at heart, and still will choose that V8 model of a car before ever leaving with 2 less cylinders. Yet I see cars getting heavier, more powerful, and less efficient...even when gas prices are at all time highs. That leaves me scratching my head.

Fortunately for me, my new law enforcement career has cut my daily commute into 1/3 what it was when I worked in the auto industry. For me, that will allow me to justify getting a car that may only get 23 mpg. I had started putting money aside for this new Camaro when I was still employed as an auto designer. Once outta work, that savings dissolved quickly. Now that I'm finding my footing once again perhaps it's time to start considering saving for this ride once again. I'll never sell my 69 Camaro, I have no doubt about it. Yet it sure would be nice to be able to park a 2010 or 2011 Camaro next to it. Either way, it'll be a few years before I would decide on whether to get one, and hopefully, my 69 will be back on the road long before then.

Camaro Photo Gallery
Camaro Unveiling Video
First Look: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

No comments: