Wednesday, January 09, 2008

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

Photo courtesy of Motor Trend


While browsing through the magazines at Meijer last week, I came across an issue of Motor Trend that I simply had to buy. I've never been a big fan of Motor Trend, I guess because too much of it consists of car reviews about vehicles that are of little interests to me. Ocassionally, something will catch my eye, I flip through it, then the magazine often finds it's way into my cart.

On this particular day, that something was the 2009 Corvette ZR1. The rumors have been around for a few years now, though it seems the rumors were fairly close to the finished product. While not a supercharged version of the LS7 engine, due too cylinder walls that were too thin, it is a supercharged version of the LS3. Early numbers state 620+ hp, or essentially 100+ hp per liter. This monster has been in the works for a few years, and it was surprising (at least to me) to hear of the revival of the ZR1 nameplate. I had heard Stingray and SS thrown around, yet ZR1 seems much more fitting.

As much as the Z06 could hold its own against the best sports cars in the world, this new version should put it right there with the front runners, likely outperforming many. I like many of the unique features this car will have, though perhaps my most favorite is the hood. The hood will feature a clear see through type scoop, exposing the engine and it's intercooler nestled below.

With a price expected around $100,000, it's a car I will likely never own in my life time, though I can't help but smile at the fact that it will be made. The Corvette has always been a step or two behind the Dodge Viper, and only time will tell whether or not the Corvette and it's 100 lbs less weight will be enough to dethrone the Viper. Can't wait to read the reviews on the Vette's first drive! I'll be sure and snap plenty of pictures of it at this year's North American International Auto Show, where the car will be displayed.

Here is the full article: ZR1 article in Motor Trend Magazine

Here are some pictures: ZR1 photo gallery at Motor Trend

For info on the original ZR1's history, check out this site: Father Larry's Corvette Shop

No comments: