Monday, January 21, 2008

2008 North American International Auto Show Coverage

This year's North American International Auto Show was different. Different in a way that probably goes to show what direction the auto industry is headed, and that is one that is much greener, and much more efficient.

Nearly every auto maker had their version of environmentally friendly, higher mileage vehicles. Many were exhibiting what seems to be the next big hybrid version, plug-in cars. Whether or not the typically smaller, more efficient cars are your cup of tea is up to you. I can say this however, as opposed to past years where hybrids looked, well, a bit funky...or perhaps just plain ugly would be a better term, this year seemed to be one in which style entered the fray.

While these cars are environmentally friendly, they didn't sacrifice their styling. Perhaps one of the first to shake this stereotype was first displayed last year, Chevy's Volt. This was the first hybrid in which my first impression was "Damn, I'd drive that!" Many more followed the lead this year.

As you may have picked up on by now, I'm not a big fan of import cars...period. Doesn't matter to me if they are Japanese, or Europes most high dollar exotics, they don't do much for me. Several hundred thousand dollar Ferraris? No thanks, give me the hundred thousand dollar 2009 ZR1, which should be the Vette that is able to outperform the best in the world.

Well, before I go off on a tangent, let's get looking at the cars. Here are several dozen from the show, with a link at the end to all of the 185 or so pictures I took, enjoy!



Here is the Storm Trooper Avenger by Dodge, which I gotta say, looked pretty wicked in my book.




The Dodge Calibur. I'll admit, I didn't care much for this car when it first came out, but it grew on me. Now they have the SRT-4 version that bumps up the power. Reminds me of the penny racer toys from back in the day.


The Dodge Viper SRT-10: Doesn't really need an intro, does it?


The Hyundai Genesis concept. It's cars like these that are slowly changing my opinion on foreign styling. Anybody else see the last generation Mustang styling in the grill and headlights?


The Mustang Shelby Cobra GT500KR, one badass pony!


Here is the 2009 Dodge Ram. Though not as apparent in the photo, there really were a lot of styling changes to the truck. While I like the revised front end, the rest of the body just seemed a little watered down from the current model.



The Chrysler Eco Voyager. Another sharp little hybrid car. I can't help but recall many years ago when my friend Jody sketched up a car and said "This is what cars of the future will look like," as this is it. Bubbly, arched countour, and that's about it.


The Ford Verve. Not that I'm a big Ford Focus fan or anything, but I was still disappointed with last year's display of the new Ford Focus. To me, it looked too much like the current Ford Focus. As soon as I saw this Ford Verve, I thought THIS is what the new Ford Focus should look like. Hopefully Ford has this car on the fast track to production.


The Ford Explorer Concept. Another homerun for Ford! I love the styling, as well as the Star Trek looking interior. You can't see it, but there was a bubble like thing on the dash that looked like something off the USS Enterprise. "Beam me up Scotty!"




The 2009 Ford F150. Much like the Dodge Ram, it just looks a bit watered down to me. I like the current version better. The Dodge front end looks better too, this one just looks too damn busy or something, and the grill is way too big compared to the headlights.

The Lincoln MKT. I think they were trying to build off the boxiness of the Chysler 300C, which looks both sexy and luxurious. This however does not, as the ass end looks fat and the front end too square, boxiness to the extreme!



The Lincoln MKS. I liked this Lincoln MUCH better!


Concepts like this one at the Mazda display always baffle me. There is cutting edge design, and then there is this, which I simply refer to as "retarded."




The Saturn Flextreme. Another bubbly/arched designed hybrid, one that doesn't do much for me.

The Buick Riviera Concept. Designed in China, quite possibly the best looking Buick ever!

The Pontiac G8. Think of it as the next generation GTO, though this time it has 4 doors. I talked to one of the lead designers from Australia about this car at last year's Detroit Autorama. He said that this car is amazing and blows the GTO away. Personally, I love it, but am glad they didn't try slapping "GTO" on the side of it.


The 2009 Corvette ZR1. The best of show in my opinion. The car that knows no limits, built to go against the best supercars the world has to offer, and all the while looking like a million bucks. It screams American, yet some how still emits European characteristics. With 620+ hp, this has already been labeled the fastest Chevy ever built.



The clear bubble on the hood allows you to see the intercooler on the engine below.


Here is the heart of the beast!


The Chevy Volt. While the car debuted as a concept last year, it is now headed for production. This, in my opinion, was the first hybrid to be designed in a stylish manner. Looks more sports car than green machine doesn't it?


The Dodge Caravan R/T...for that lead foot soccer momma! Viper red, big rims/tires, dual exhaust, hood scoop. Ok, can I ask why?


Nissan GT-R. Have to hand it to them, their 480 hp twin turbo V6 looks damn fine to me!


The Fisker Karma. Said to be the first luxuirous hybrid, a title I can't argue with. Priced at $80,000-$100,000 depending upon the options, it's set to come out next year.


The Cadillac CTS-V. Built to take on the best sedans in Europe, it's 550 hp should more than make it's point, Cadillac is back to reclaim their crown.


The Cadillac CTS Coupe Concept. A two door CTS with gorgeous body lines, all the right proportions, and Cadillac attitude? Even better.


Lexus Concept. Not sure what this concept was labled, but it looked sharp none the less. I especially like the tail end.


Chevy's 2009 Camaro. Still salivating over this baby!

Smart Fortwo...arguable. Say what they want in terms of safety, but put this car up against even your average size family car in an accident and you can guess who my money will be on.


Dodge's ZEO, yet another electric Hybrid that I would gladly slide behind the wheel of.

Isn't the Hummer fad over yet? They seem to keep shrinking it smaller and smaller, this one is much closer to Jeep proportions, believe it or not.


One wild ass Jeep roadster type concept. While perhaps not all that practical, it sure looks like it would be fun to hit the sand dunes on the west side of the state doesn't it?


Chevy Malibu Hybrid. Based upon the already popular new Malibu, this is the green version.


Here are the rest of my photos: 2008 North American International Auto Show

No comments: