Friday, August 15, 2014

Woodward Dream Cruise 2014 - My Camaro won't be making the trip



Shit happens, pure and simple.  After making it down the track for the first time in 14 years, even though I had my troubles, I didn't seem to have hurt anything.  I was wrong.  Today, I topped off the tank in preparation of the Dream Cruise tomorrow.  I no more than left the gas station and I heard something was wrong.  Though the oil pressure was fine, the valve lash sounded loose, and a squeal, as if a bearing was failing, was a sure tell sign something wasn't right.

I had already been skeptical that one of the solid rollers may have been failing, after rechecking the valve lash a few days after running down the 1/4 mile.  Fortunately, I was just around the corner from home.  After parking it in the garage, oil pressure was still fine, though the driver side valve cover was obviously louder than the passenger side.  I quickly pulled the cover off, and the rocker I was concerned about had a lot of clearance.  The engine was hurt, and I can only pray that it's not hurt too bad.  As it is, it's parked for the year, and this winter will determine just how hurt it is.  I'm hoping I'm just a cam, lifters, and gaskets away from being back on the road and track ready.  Not the winter I was expecting, as I was hoping to leave the drivetrain alone this winter.

I'm not one to let my misfortune dampen my spirit, and will still be heading to Woodward with family and friends tomorrow.  I will enjoy it just as I always do, but my car simply won't be making the trip.  The downside of making so much hp is that sooner or later, something fails, especially when you push the limits of streetability.

No comments: