Monday, October 14, 2013

Summit Motorsports Park - Halloween Warm-up

005

 Two Saturdays in a row I hit Norwalk, now named Summit Motorsports Park.  I've already ranted and raved over what a top notch facility it is, so no sense in repeating that.  This weekend was more enjoyable, as the weather was perfect, and the track didn't get oil downed even once!  The racing action was non-stop, and dominated by 9-10 second cars.  I also got a chance to talk with the tech inspector for awhile, getting all of my questions answered.  I was happy to find there were no surprises to add to my winter list.  In fact, I was better off than I thought, as until my car was to run 9.99 of faster, I don't have to worry about getting my cage certified.  Once you get to that level, you cage must be recertified every two years, at a cost of about $150.

I'm more motivated than ever to get back to the track racing.  I'm planning on having my car good to go by late spring, a goal that seems easy right now, though with two little girls, all goals are not so easily reached these days.

I still say that 9-10 second cars are by far the most fun to watch.  They almost all launch on two wheels, look and sound fast, and seem like your typical street car.  The dragsters are about as boring as racing can get in my opinion.  While I'm sure they are fun as hell to drive, from a spectators perspective, they all look the same.  They all launch the same, and even the burnouts are nothing spectacular.  In fact, most just roll the tires a bit, not producing any tire smoke, and that's it.

So after watching two straight weekends of racing, I think we will initially shoot for building our 68 Firebird into a 10 second car.  Perhaps one day we will push it faster, but a mid to low 10 second car just seems more appealing for now.  So that's a wrap as far as the racing season is concerned.  Look for me to start working on the Camaro soon, placing frequent orders with both Summit and Jegs as the weeks proceed.

006
This 68 Firebird was even the same color ours was from factory.  This was a damn nice car, which sadly had some oil pressure issues, and only ran a few runs.  That's a glass hood, which the owner didn't believe they make any longer.

011
Wheels up racing, all day long!

017
A nice Cuda yankin' the wheels.

026
Camaro launchin' hard.

029
This CTS-V had a new cam and drag radials, while running a best of 11.1 in the 1/4 mile!

036
Novas may have been the most popular car at the track.

044
This was one nice Coronet!  With a 426 hemi, it ran 10.50's with a restrictor plate all day long.  Take away the restrictor plate, and this was a 9 second car.

045


061
1980's all over again.

063
Good looking Mopar, able to yank the wheels.

066
Here's is that 1968 Firebird close up.  Loved the hood, which was slightly taller then stock.

070


073


075
This is how close you can get to the action.  Took this shot from ground level.

077
10.5's and yanking the wheels...each and every run.

083
I'm not sure I've ever seen one of these Pontiac wagons.  Not a bad looking car...for the 80's.

084
Yes, that's a Volvo.  Maybe the coolest Volvo ever!

094


100
That CTS-V wasn't the only Caddy running the 1/4.

103


107


110


114
The only front engine dragster at the track, and the only dragster that was even remotely cool.  Even so, the run was no cooler than any of the other dragsters.  It's just not a show.  They do a light burnout, no smoke, and launch without excitement.  I'd rather watch a 9-10 door slammer than a 7 second dragster.

116
I think this would be the Omega.  It's Olds powered, and launched this way every launch.  This car made it deep into eliminations.

130
This Gremlin ran the week prior as well.  You don't see many Gremlins, let alone racing at the track.

140
After the racing ended, I was able to walk out on the track.  Your feet literally stick to the track, so much so that its hard to lift your shoes off the track to walk.  My goal is not only to go racing next year, but to race the first time at Norwalk.  After all, this is the first track I ever raced at, in my first car, nearly 20 years ago.


10-12-2013 Summit Motorsports Park (Norwalk)

No comments: