Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Streetrodding Muscle Cars: Good or Bad?

Perhaps one of the most interesting things about being into cars is how opinions can change over time.  Cars I once thought were hideous are now cool, and things I once thought were cool (rear window louvers) are now gaudy.  The same applies to how cars are built, and a conversation with my father-in-law at a local show got me thinking.

My father-in-law has somewhat of a Dodge Ram fetish.  He owns an SST, Rumble Bee, and Sport 1500...now of which see much time on the road, all of which will likely be forever a part of his collection.  In the near future, he hopes to add the unthinkable, a car!  He keeps going back and forth between a brand new Challenger, perhaps SRT8, or a classic 60's Mopar like a Sport Fury or Belvedere.  My vote is for the classic from the 60's, and I listed a whole bunch of reasons why.

The conversation soon morphed into modern engines in old cars, which I call "streetrodding the muscle car."  In the 1980's, the TPI engine from Chevy no more than debuted when it soon started appearing between the fenders of everything pre-1948.  In addition, the 700R4 also followed, giving streetrodders the ability to travel across the country while knocking down good mpg and turn-key/no headaches performance.

I can appreciate the dependability of a new powertrain, but I'm quickly getting tired of seeing the LS, HEMI, and occasional Mod motors in the engine bays.  So much so, that I'm becoming more pro-Old School recently.  I will probably ALWAYS prefer a big block anything between the frame rails, but even with a new motor, it needs an old twist, something to make it unique or cool.

I love the new Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers.  My biggest gripe has always been their weight.  These cars have so many options I could live without, and because of those options, these cars are all at or even over 4,000 lbs.  The Challenger tipping the scales at 4,200 lbs!  I can't say I wouldn't own any of the 3 modern muscle cars, but it'll have to be perhaps 10 years from now, when prices drop and the skinny jeans crowd move on to whatever the new fad cars are to them.

As cool as the new muscle is, it will never be the same as the originals in my eyes.  Now, that doesn't mean that to the 10 year old kid growing up next door to a guy with a 2010 Camaro SS with 426 hp won't view it as a classic when he grows older, and buy one because of the passion it instilled in him.  For me though, even years from now, it still won't represent what the 60's cars did.

I have brainstormed about what the next evolution of my 69 Camaro will be, and an LS engine had crossed my mind more than a few times.  When it was all said and done, I have pretty much concluded that it will be a 540 crate engine (or bigger) topped off with my AFR heads and Victor intake.  I love the raw, crude, send you running with your tail between your legs power and sound that you simply can't replace with the new engines.  Now, that's not to say I won't drop an LS engine between the fenders of my 1989 Formula some day.  In fact, that is what I plan on doing, though it'll have to be either twin turbo, supercharged, or an Inglese or Kinsler fuel injected stack setup.  Hell, or maybe I'll slap a dual carb/mini ram intake on it.  Something to make it different, somewhat nostalgic, ya know?  To hell with running with the pack, I wanna be running in front of the pack!

No comments: