Saturday, February 25, 2012

2012 Detroit Autorama - Coverage and Photos

This year marked the 60th Anniversary of the Detroit Autorama. The Detroit Autorama has long been considered the largest/best indoor classic car show in the country. 60 years of history, combined with a region where everybody knows somebody working in the industry, and it's no wonder why the show is home of the Riddler award. This year was as good as any, and the crowds seemed much larger than years past.

In addition to a great show, the vendors were also out in full force. I took notice that there are a growing number of aftermarket companies found right here in Metro Detroit, and will be able to purchase our fair share of parts for my dad's Challenger here locally. One company in particular expressed great interest in working with us to design a new set of gauges that would bolt in for a factory look, with a modern twist.

I will be adding some new companies to the site, both parts companies as well as automotive art/clothing companies. The crowds were heavy, some many shots were hard to get, and some cars got a little cut off, but I did my best. This is also just a sampling of the 400+ pictures available via the link at the bottom. So, let's get down to the good stuff, the cars!


040



058
The skull on the fender had light up led's for eyes. COOL!


063
I believe this was the only 1970 Challenger at the show, so we weren't able to gather too many ideas for my dad's Challenger.


065



076



095



123
Just look at that reflection...smooth as glass!


125
The clear coat version of the car below that was in matte paint.


131
Willy's...arguably THE KING of all street rods.


133
I can't say I've been a big fan of these two tone/loud paint jobs that are all too much like a flashback to the 1980's. Thankfully, I think they are subsiding, and hopefully will be going away all together in another few years.


137
The Judge...nuff said.


163



171
I'm not sure there was a piece on this Charger that wasn't modified. Muscle car refinement to the extreme, and the end product is truly over the top.


188
This 1934 Hupmobile was said to be the only one left in existance. I was amongst my favorites of the show. This car was simply cool, and very unique.


194
Strap me in and give me the keys please!


201



220
One of the nicest C3 Vettes I've seen.


237



244
Think they were from the same gene pool? Sure, it's bigger, heavier, and I can understand the gripes...but I would still park a new one next to my 1969 in a heartbeat!


249
Rad Rides by Troy does it again! The baddest Ford Torino ever.


261
Another 40-41 Ford, this one a panel van. I didn't even realize they made a panel back then.


271



281
The aftermarket continues to blow my mind. They have taken a Camaro and turned it into a GTO. The finished product is so nice that you'd swear it rolled off a Pontiac assembly line. The Firebird parked next to it was equally as nice.


291
Early 50's Buick. One awesome sled!


297



319



333
While a relatively traditional looking street rod on the outside, tucked between the fenders was a massive roots style blower. I must admit, it caught me by surprise, and while lacking overly massive meats out back, I'm sure it catches many others by surprise on the road.


351
Awesome Vette! Speaking of which, Downs Industries, long time builder of composite body street rods, has come out with C1 and C2 Vettes. With the C2 arguably the best looking Vette ever built, I expect to see a growing number of these Vettes at car shows. While I always had a secret ambition to some day build a Cobra kit car, I can say without a doubt, this new Vette kit car erases and replaces that desire. While still very costly, one could much more easily build such a car over time as opposed to finding an affordable original to restore. I WANT ONE!


355
Glad we stopped and checked this car out. We were lucky enough to talk to one of the builders, Kevin Tully, from Hot Rod Chassis and Cycle out of Addison, IL. He helped me prevent some possible issues I would have ran into with my soon to be new fuel system. The down to earth people into cars is yet another reason I love Autorama.


368
This was a very nice car to begin with, the wood simply pushed it over the top.


374
Another wicked ass front engine dragster!


381



385
This car was used in many photos by an artist at the show. His photography work is simply amazing, and truly deserving of whatever price he demands.


390



404
I think this is a 40-41 Ford, though my I'm a bit rusty when it comes to spotting street rods these days.


420
Someday, I'd love to build and pilot a front engine dragster. I can only imagine the thrill of blasting down a 1/4 mile in this thing.


424



439
I really liked that matte orange Chevy. A nice new take on a tried and true color scheme.


455



458

Starting to see more 3rd Generation Firebirds/Camaros at shows.

466


2 comments:

Pikesan said...

Great job on the 2012 Detroit Autorama coverage. You know your home turf well! Hopefully we can meet up next time.
What'd you think of the Ridler winner?

Supersport said...

Ah yes, the Riddler winner. When I walked passed that car, it caught my eye. The one picture I took didn't do the car justice. Some colors, for whatever reason, don't look the same as they do in person. This car was one of the brightest reds you've ever seen, yet came out looking like an orange/red.

I knew each time I passed this car that it was something special. While it didn't come across as over the top as many Riddler cars do (excessive in my opinion), this car was perfection, beauty, and a rightful winner of this year's Riddler.