Thursday, September 15, 2011

Trailer Queen or Necessary Evil?



It wasn't until I bought my Camaro back in 1996 and really got into car shows that I first heard the term "trailer queen." It was, and still is, a term that I reserve for those cars that never see the road, trailered to car shows for one purpose, to clean house winning trophies. Having been into building plastic models as a kid, I viewed them as 1:1 scale models for grownups. I failed to understand the purpose, as in my mind, a car is built to drive.

Years have passed, and I now find myself questioning whether to trailer, or not to trailer. My car however doesn't fall under the "trailer queen" category in my mind. I got chips, stress cracks, and a few dings. While it's still a damn nice car, it has it's blemishes, none of which annoy me like they once would have 10 years ago. Today, I ponder trailering my car for one reason, practicality.

My car has achieved the 700 hp club in perhaps the most raw way one can, naturally aspirated, all brute force. With high horsepower comes the risk of breaking something. Without question, I would drive my car to any show within an hour or two away. Where the trailer comes into the picture is for shows further, such as Goodguys Columbus, where I may wanna autocross. Or, perhaps hit the drag strip at another out of town show. In addition, I don't feel it's worth the risk to drive to the drag strip as I have in the past. The reason being, as stated above, I'm now in a place where things are going to break, it's inevitable, and the nature of the beast.

So, having talked myself into it, I still can't help but wonder...will I be viewed as a trailer queen?

No comments: